Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    willtsmith_nwi

8 speed extinction ...

I checked the SRAM website the other day. It seems in the 2008 lineup that they have removed 8 speed shifters from their X-9 level. Not only that, they have also removed 8 speed from the X-7 line. They also removed the 8 speed X-5 trigger. The highest 8 speed shifter they're offering is the junky X-5 with the goofy viewing window.

So what does everyone think of SRAM removing higher end 8 speed options? I for one think I'll be hoarding 8 speed X-9 gripshifts.

Ride or die
    8 speed is going the way of the eight track, the polyester leisure suit, VHS and Vee brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    8 speed will never die
    Fab
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    8 speed will never die
    Fab
    "They" said the same thing in 95 with 7 speed.......................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member

Sadly it's dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    8 speed will never die
    Fab
    I wish! but I think it's dead! I hate to say it but it is, well at least it is for me. A good light 8 speed cassettes are hard to come by now. I have one Ti XTR cassette left and once that's gone I'll have to upgrade to 9 speed or maybe run the XT 11-30 cassette. The SRAM 8 speed cassette are junk. I love the Ti XTR 950 8 cassette, 12-32 was perfect.

Maybe this is the excuse I need to go single speed. --Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not quite extinct, but definitely on the endangered species list.

I'm in the process of finishing a new build and had wanted to make it 8-speed but based on what I'm seeing with parts availability, I just couldn't justify putting together a new bike with parts that will be hard to replace in the near future. I already have three 8-speed bikes and am starting to stash parts for those (I just bought a NOS set of xt 8-speed rapidfire shifters for future use).
    It's really a shame that Shimano and Sram are forcing this issue on us. I already have one 9-speed bike and have not found any advantage to it for me. The chain may be a little lighter weight, but the cassettes are a lot heavier than comparable 8-speed stuff, and unless you're running a single ring up front, who actually needs a 32 or 34-tooth cog?
    If you have 8-speeds and want to keep them that way, not a bad idea to start searching out the good 8-speed parts and starting your own stash.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    unless you're running a single ring up front, who actually needs a 32 or 34-tooth cog?
    That depends on how strong you are. I'm running 11-32 on a 29er (higher gearing) right now. I make it a point NOT to shift into the 32 unless I REALLY need to. If a 34 tooth 8 speed was available (not a Mega-Range), I'd probably use it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    That depends on how strong you are. I'm running 11-32 on a 29er (higher gearing) right now. I make it a point NOT to shift into the 32 unless I REALLY need to. If a 34 tooth 8 speed was available (not a Mega-Range), I'd probably use it.
    Oh, so it's the 29ers fault. Thanks alot guys.

On a 26er, I never felt the need for anything bigger than a 28 in back. When I first shifted into the 34 on a 9-speed, I almost fell of the bike. I still have the 34 on that bike and when I ride it I have to make a mental note to NEVER SHIFT INTO THE 22-34 COMBO!. It does tempt me to just go 1x9. At least that way I'll appreciate 9-speed.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    8 speed parts (shifters, cassette, chains) are easily found at a few German online retailers, I hope some of the big US shops (jenson, price point) will commit to the 8speed devolution .
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

I Love my Rize

Bonking ... not feelin' well Play Taps now

I checked the SRAM website the other day. It seems in the 2008 lineup that they have removed 8 speed shifters from their X-9 level. Not only that, they have also removed 8 speed from the X-7 line. They also removed the 8 speed X-5 trigger. The highest 8 speed shifter they're offering is the junky X-5 with the goofy viewing window.

So what does everyone think of SRAM removing higher end 8 speed options? I for one think I'll be hoarding 8 speed X-9 gripshifts.

Wilt I couldn't agree with you more. My X9 8 speed twisters and rear derailleur are by FAR the best drivetrain I have every used or would hope to. It handles ANY CONDITION with ease and never even burps. You could not improve on this system. Sram used to be the anti Shimano by offering options that Shimano didn't (like high end 8 speed stuff). Like you I will buy a few more sets of X9 8 speed twisters asap and I already have 2 now, one one the bike and an extra. Man I love those shifters like you wouldn't believe. Pleaseeeeeeeee Sram read these boards and keep what you have right now at least. I would have definitely bought XO 8 speed twisters if they still made them even though they are basically the same as the X9. I might have to start playing with a single speed and say screw you the Sram and Shimano and their petty little games.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i totally feel your pain. why can't sram just make a good 11/12-34 8 speed cassette? i run a 29/42 2X9 setup and with a 11-34 9 speed right now but if i could get a good 8 speed setup going i would go that route for the reliability. action-tec makes said cassette in ti but you're looking to spend about $150. it might be worth it if it lasts twice as long as a normal steel cassette though.

Dirt Displacer
    When I built my bike, I was set on a 2x8 drivetrain from the start. Before I had a standard 11-34 Shimano XT setup, and I never felt that it lived up to the reliability which was attributed to Shimano XT. On top of this, I rarely found myself using anything but the range of gears found within an 11-32, 2x8 drivetrain. It works perfectly for the type of aggressive riding that I do, and coupled with the XO derailleur, it's never given me any need to make any adjustments. The Shimano XT front derailleur that I use has actually given me more headaches than any one component on my bike.
    I've never had any problems with my X5 8spd triggers, and I only just recently had to replace the cassette & chain. The Truvativ chainrings were actually a bit worse in the wear department than the cassette. Not bad after over a year's worth of abuse.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

8 is enough

I run 9spd everything on two different bikes except for 8spd right shifter, chain and cassette.

I run the all steal XTR 12-32 8spd cassette- Very durable.

One bike is Sram X& 8spd shiter with a 9.0 derailer.

The Other is XTR 8sp shifter and XTR derailer.

These were easy setups and I never ever have to adjust.

Hey bike industry are you listening????? We want high quality 8sd Cassettes.

mtbr member
    I still ride 8 speed and see no reason to upgrade, other than my shifters eventually breaking. If anyone has a set of 8 speed XT or XTR shifters let me know.

Also about the V-Brakes, I still prefer the feel of my v-brakes a better control. Don't get me wrong disc brakes are great but nothing beats the feel of a great v-brake(in dry conditions, not flying down a hill on a 40lbs bike)
    Willis

mbtr member
    good riddance. The more gears the better.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 4 speed crankset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    good riddance. The more gears the better.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 4 speed crankset.
    There's nothing new under the sun.

http://abundantadventures.com/quads.html

http://www.briandesousa.com/bicycling/tech/fourring.htm
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

as long as possible

I'm going to run an 8 speed as long as possible. You'll probably always be able to get 8 speed parts, but the high end stuff is going to harder and harder to find.

I've got an extra 8 speed ti XTR cassette stashed in the closet, but when that goes, I'll probably have to suck it up and go for 9

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass

there's nothing new under the sun.

weirdo
    Unfortunately, I can`t imagine 8-speed holding out indefinetely either. Having never had more than 8 on my cassette, I can`t say as I really know it to be better, but I have no problems now with my X-7 triggers or my PG 850. Really, it ticks me off to be forced like that. I see no reason why both SRAM and Shimano can`t continue to manufacture the stuff. What does it take to hang onto an extra set of tooling for a production run once in a while? If they missed out on selling a few nine speed components, they`d make it up by selling the eight speed stuff that was bought instead. I feel the same way about V-brakes, but more-so. There are several minor points that bug me about discs, but none that I couldn`t live with if I had to. The main reason I stay with my Vs is that I`m so ticked off about losing options. Let`s just hope that we don`t get stuck with 10-speed crap like the roadies. Even nine-speed is starting to get limited in that department.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willis.4
    If anyone has a set of 8 speed XT or XTR shifters let me know.
    You can still find them
    Here are some at Nashbar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willis.4
    I still ride 8 speed and see no reason to upgrade, other than my shifters eventually breaking. If anyone has a set of 8 speed XT or XTR shifters let me know.

Also about the V-Brakes, I still prefer the feel of my v-brakes a better control. Don't get me wrong disc brakes are great but nothing beats the feel of a great v-brake(in dry conditions, not flying down a hill on a 40lbs bike)
    Shifters aren't really the issue for me. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a shifter just break on me. Now cassettes on the other hand, they get replaced about once a year sometimes more. Good high end cassettes are hard to come by now-a-days. Chain Reaction was the last place I knew of that I could still get XTR Ti 8 speed cassettes but sadly, they are all gone now. I still have one new XTR cassette left. After I wear that one out I'll likely upgrade to 9 speed.

I have to disagree about the v-brakes. I'll probably never go back. Disc are better in every category other than weight. To me, v-brakes are either on or off, they have almost no modulation because they grab so far out on the wheel. And with hydros, maintenance is near zero. But it's all personal preference I guess. --Mark

weirdo
    I just don`t get it. There are obviously people who want eight. Why would the manufacturers stop turning them out? They`ve already done all the R&D, made up tooling, they have customers and distribution schemes. And since they`re producing 9-sp stuff as is, it isn`t that much more they need to do. This confuses me every time I see my favorites going obsolete. DANG!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

9 speed sucks...

9 speed drivetrains are total garbage. SRAM are idiots and scoundrels for dumping 8 and making us use their 9 speed crap systems.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    ActionTec still offers titanium 8 speed cassettes in the really light category, and in the reasonably light category Suntour Powerflo 8spd cassettes are offered in 11-28, 11-30 and 11-32 sizes. The 11-28 ones are about 270g as I recall (i haven't any handy not on bikes at the moment to pop onto the scale quickly) which is only about 15g heavier than a Deore XT 11-28 8s. The Suntour one retails for $20 though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

8 Spd w/ New Crank

So, for the fun of it I've been hotrodding a 1998 Raleigh M600 and was doing some looking around on the web and came across this thread.

What would be ideal is to be able to run a 'modern' crank (i.e. one with integrated BB spindle and outboard bearings) like a Shimano LX or XT but still remain 8 speed. Seems like these cranks are always made for 9 speed drive trains.

In this thread I saw that someone is running 9 speed everything except for the right shifter, cassette and chain - these are all 8 speed. How does this work out? Seems like you could run into problems with using an 8 speed chain on a crank designed to be used with a 9 speed chain... Maybe not tho...

So, my current drivetrain setup is: All Shimano XT 8 speed. Anyone know of any issues I'll run into just attempting to put a Shimano LX (FC-M580) crankset on this?

Thanks,
    Zeke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast