mtbr member

8 Speed compatibility issues

Hi y'all
    I recently noticed some chain slippage in my middle ring so I figured it was worn out and I needed a new one. The crankset is the older Shimano MC09 (Fisher HT). I have recently replaced the cassette and chain (to SRAM PG-850 cassette and PC-68 chain) and everything is solid in the back. So in the process of looking around for replacement chainrings (I've read other posts that say replace you granny chainring when you replace the middle) I came across a cheaper Shimano FC-T410 crankset for $25, less than I can find a 32 tooth middle ring. The blurb said it was a good low end shimano 8 spd replacement so I ordered it. I figured even if I didn't want to use the whole crankset I could just pull off the middle and granny rings and use it on my existing crank. Bzzzzzzt - it came today and had this sticker on it that said "Shimano IG chain only". I have no desire to make the rest of the drivetrain IG compatible. I tried manuevering through the compatibility charts on the Shimano site and that just hurt my brane.

OK, lesson learned but I am even more cowed by the compatibility issues. Are there 8-speed 32 tooth, four hole rings and 9-speed 32 tooth, four hole rings? Do I need to look for 8-spd compatible chainrings? Are Raceface rings as bad as the reviews say they are?

Thanks.

Ron in SD
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

A Chainring Is A Chainring

They're all pretty much the same. Chainrings from the 60's work perfectly well with today's 9 and 10 spd chains.
    Its all marketing hype!
    The $25 crank you bought will work fine with any chain and any number of gears in the back.
    Likewise and chainring that you can find that will bolt to your crankset will work fine with any chain and any number of gears in the back.

MTBR Demi-God
    The IG (Integrated Glide) chain is a brand name used by Shimano for their 8-speed chains. Any 8-speed chain should work on that crankset, regardless of whether the chain is IG compatible or not.

As mentioned by Shayne, 9 speed chainring will work with both 9 and 8 speed chain, and an 8 speed chainring will also work with both types of chains
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    a side note to your project, I have noticed that a middle ring will wear quicker because it is usually made of a different material from a granny. Steel/aluminum

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

related questions

Hey guys, trying to avoid starting a new thread here. I think this relates pretty well. I just don't understand some of this and want to make sure...

I just bought a new bike ('05 Iron Horse Azure Comp) that's all 9-speed. I love the drivetrain on my '98 Homegrown. The XT shifters and medium cage low normal rd are just so smooth. The new bike just doesn't have that feel at all. First, do new shifters take some time to get smooth & crisp? Right now, they take considerable effort to push to higher gears. Second, will the 8 speed cassette work with the 9-speed crankset on the new bike? And which chain should I use if they will all work together? Lastly, is the cassette a simple change? The Schwinn has rim brakes; the Azure's got discs. I wouldn't think it would be any issue.

Thanks for the help.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Some Answers

The 8spd cassette will indeed work with the 9spd crankset.

The shifters should work about as well as possible when new. They may be gummed up with factory grease if that sat around a long time before you bought the bike.

If your 8spd cassette is fairly new you can use the new chain. If its worn I'd stick with the old chain. They'll work better together.

The cassette change is simple. You just need a cassette lockring tool and a chain whip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cassette change is pretty simple, but you need the tools to do it. A shop would probably charge 5-10 dollars. The 8 speed cassette will work with the 9 speed crank. You will need an 8 speed chain though. One thing I am not sure of if your 9 speed wheel will take a 8 speed cassette. I have had no issues but its something you may want to double check on.

I can't really say whether or not it will get smoother. Its just my opinion but seems like a waste of buying a new bike to swap everything out now, I guess you could sell them off, or return the bike and just look into buying a frame only that you can move all the parts over to.
    Last edited by tron; 04-16-2007 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I now see that you probably bought this from Randall Scott online? Maybe its the duel control levers that are making it more difficult for you to shift and you need some time to adjust. Also, it might need an adjustment after shipping. Just some ideas

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    the shifting "issues" with the new bike im sure have nothing to do with the derailer or cassette, but more than likely cable issues, too tight a bend, gunk in the cables etc. I would check the cable out first, try some lube on it etc before you swap out to the old 8 speed stuff, and if you do, you probably should switch out the shifters and have to recable too

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

thoughts

Thanks for all the input & ideas. I did buy from Randall Scott. (Who could pass on that deal?) I just despise the dual control, so I already bought new LX rapidfire shifters and some Cane Creek direct curve levers. I don't see any kinks or anything in the cables, but I suppose the lubing in the cables could be bad. I think the cassette and chain are of course fine; they're brand new, after all! So that leads me to believe it's either crappy shifter pods I bought or maybe gunked cables??

My Homegrown, like I said, shifts _beautifully_ with the XT shifters/levers I have. I have a pretty new cassette (8sp) and chain (8sp) on it, and a nice XTR rd on it, so that's why I am asking. The Homegrown crankset is an older LX model, and I much prefer the new Truvativ that came on the Azure. I just don't know what will mix & match.

My LBS mechanic told me that 9-speed chains are a fraction of a millimeter shorter per link than the 8-speed ones (just another bit of corporate planned obsolescence). If that's the case, I didn't think you could mix & match like you are saying.

Thanks for the help/advice. I don't know much, but I know enough to ask.