mtbr member
    Oct 2007

8 speed cassette preferences?

I'm going to replace my 11-28 xt with either a used 12-32 xtr OR a new 11-32 SRAM. I think I'd prefer the xtr gearing 32-28-24-21 as opposed to the sram 32-26-21 since I use that end of the cassette far more than the small cogs, and I probably rarely, if ever, use the 11. But, is a used xtr worth the risk (and cost) depending on wear/durability and how well it would mesh with my chain? And would I even notice the gearing differences that much or am I over-analyzing? Thanks.

ups and downs
    A used cassette is a bad investment unless you know an awful lot about the drivetrain and chainwear. Chances are a new chain may not mesh with it.

You can still get an XT 11-30T from a couple of sources.

mtbr member
    I like the Sram PG-850. I agree with you that the gear spread is a little wide (the jump from 26 to 32), but they are so incredibly light and cheap. I also wouldn't buy a used cassette unless it was used very little - especially a cassette with titanium cogs like the XTR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have an XT 11-30 on my old shool hardtail and the shifting is great, the spacing is perfect.
    I also bought a "like new" used cassette for winter use, and it was totally trashed. Learn from mistakes.

God save the 8 speed!
    fab
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    When I was still running 8 speed, I tried the SRAM PG-850 and found the jump from 26 to 32 a little too large. Suntour makes a 8 speed 11-32 with a 28 to 32 jump and they're only $20. I put one on my wife's bike to give her a slightly lower gear (replacing a 11-30) and it works great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

8spd XTR

I run 12-32 8spd XTR on my bikes and feel that this is the best set up. You should be able to find them on Ebay. I choose to use the all steal cassette instead of the titamium XTR. Its a little more weight but the cogs last longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I hated the 26-32 jump on the SRAM, and have been very happy with the 12-32 XTR950. Check out www.chainreactioncycles.com they usually have Shimano 8 speed cassettes.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Another vote for the M900 P-group (12-32) cassette. A close second would be the M737 ak-group (11-30). The 737 is also 60 grams lighter than the 900.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I bought a SRAM HG-40: 8-speed with an 11-34 range. It may not last long, but it is a cheap way of finding out what the wide range does for me without investing in a complete 9-speed upgrade.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I run the 11-30 cassettes on my three bikes, I am probably going to try out the bigger gear cassettes this winter just to see how the two compare, but the 11-30 has been good for me this year.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

weirdo
    I bought the 850 with 11-32 about two years ago and I love it. I have to admit the last jump from 26t to 32t is on the big side and it IS noticeable, but nowhere near as bad as I had feared. I`ve never seen the Suntour with 28t second ring- that might be the way to go. As for the HG40, it seems to me it has an even bigger jump than the PG850. The bright side is that neither of those SRAMS are very expensive and the Suntour can`t be either. Unless you`re on a super tight budget you can choose again in a few months if you don`t like what you get the first time.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd second the advice above about being careful buying a used cassette. Unless you are sure that it's in great shape it may never run smoothly on your drive train. There are still some new, old-stock XTR cassettes floating around if you do some digging,

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I myself am trying to find a XTR 8 speeed cassette. Amyone know where I can find one?

mtbr member
    Chainreaction was the last place that I knew of that sold the Ti XTR 8 speed cassettes, but they are gone now. I had bought a bunch last year but I'm down to my last one.

I agree the SRAM 850 sucks a$$! The jump from 26 to 32 is too much and the 2 that I had in the past both came apart. Sadly I'll have to make the jump to 9 speed when this last cassette is wears out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One of my LBS's has a 8 speed XT that is 11-30. My current cassette is 11-32. Will I really notice the difference between 30 and 32? Also the XT is $65. Is that a fair price?

mtbr member
    If you use a granny ring in the front you won't notice, if you only use your middle ring you probably will.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Im also looking for the M900 12-32, but can't find any. Chainreaction is out, all popular domestic websites...out. I found one M950, but they want $140! No thanks.

Are those Suntours any good? Id be afraid of broken cogs or something.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Weekend Warrior
    I wanted to do the same thing some time ago, but the guy at the LBS assured me that I'll be better of with a cheap 8-speed than with a new XT 8-speed, as time passes the good stuff is usually just relabled to a cheaper brand (like XT -> LX -> Deore, etc...) to make room for the best and lightest to always go as XTR. Same with SRAM, last years X0 is this years X9. I even looked at some XT 8-speed cassettes and even though they were labeled as gently used, the looked like they are about to fall apart. I would say go with an 830 or 850 from SRAM. Mine is an 830 with a 11-32T setup. There are some 11-34T available from Shimano, however they have that Hyperdrive crap, where it goes from 26-34and that doesn't work for me on the trail. It only weighs 300g (if you go with the 850 it weighs 230g) and the rings are 11/12/14/16/18/21/26/32, i especially love the middle 4, they flow one into each other so smooth. I thought I will brake it a couple of times as I shifted on a steep uphill with full strength and....... nothing. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XTR 3-ti cassette with a 32 big cog

That's all I've ever used. I did buy a non 3-ti XTR once (cheaper) but it was so much heavier than the 3-ti cog that a Sram 8 speed cassette was lighter! I couldn't believe Chain Reaction had new ones last year (I bought 4, should have bought 10). I never used the Sram 8 speed because of that jump from 26-32. The XTRs 28-32 is just right. Maybe I shift lighter than the next guy or ride in less grimy conditions or clean my cassette more but durability is never a problem, one of these 8 speed ti suckers will last me years. Keep looking for a new one on ebay or keep checking Chain Reaction. As someone said, buying used is a dicey purchase.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Weekend Warrior
    WOW, I checked out the Suntour CS-PF48-C8 cassette out and I like it a lot. It has the 11/13/15/18/21/24/28/34T gearing. I just can't find the weight, but it shouldn't be any heavier than my SRAM PG-830.

Does anyone know where I can find that one to buy online? It doesn't seem like anyone is carrying it.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID...tail&tnid=1742

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just checked my supply

and I'm down to three brand-new XTR 950 12-32 3-ti cassettes. Dam! So I went to ebay and found that some store in Holland has them, new, just like Chain Reaction did last year. I thought, what the heck, I'll test this guy's international store but got outbid right off the bat. I'm only telling you this because these cassettes do exist (where are these stores getting them?) and they can be bought for a price. Chain Reaction was a great buying experience, who knows about this Holland store but...I'm just saying...
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    and I'm down to three brand-new XTR 950 12-32 3-ti cassettes. Dam! So I went to ebay and found that some store in Holland has them, new, just like Chain Reaction did last year. I thought, what the heck, I'll test this guy's international store but got outbid right off the bat. I'm only telling you this because these cassettes do exist (where are these stores getting them?) and they can be bought for a price. Chain Reaction was a great buying experience, who knows about this Holland store but...I'm just saying...
    Yeah, but how much was that one? I found one somewhere in some no-name bike shop/website in the swamps of Florida or something, but he wanted $140 for the M950! And this might be some old, now non-existant shop by now. I might as well just convert to 9 spd for that ridiculous price and cut my losses now.

How about going with a 20T granny and an XT 737 11-30? That might be close to a 22T and 32T gear combo, yes? Or maybe just trying that Suntour cassette like that one dude liked. Oh boy, this is getting complicated.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The one I didn't win went for 56 euros (about $86)

Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    Yeah, but how much was that one? I found one somewhere in some no-name bike shop/website in the swamps of Florida or something, but he wanted $140 for the M950! And this might be some old, now non-existant shop by now. I might as well just convert to 9 spd for that ridiculous price and cut my losses now.

How about going with a 20T granny and an XT 737 11-30? That might be close to a 22T and 32T gear combo, yes? Or maybe just trying that Suntour cassette like that one dude liked. Oh boy, this is getting complicated.
    which was a real good price, but then again I wasn't bidding at the time so it might have gone higher. I'm not desperate right now but that cassette for anywhere under $100 is still pretty sweet. Check out this guy's store:

http://stores.ebay.com/BIKERS-STORE

And the reason I stay 8 speed (all 12-32, all three ti XTR all the time) is because I've also scored numerous sets of XTR and XT shift/brake combos over the years from ebay, most new in their original boxes (!!!!), I only run BB7s, I don't need a 34 top cog, so I'm set. However, going 9 speed isn't the worst thing in the world and the XT 11 (?) 32 is still pretty light compared to cassettes of old and sure more available. I don't like the 26-30-34 top cogs in a typical Shimano 9 speed cassette but the 11-32 has a 24-28-32 like my 8 speed XTRs. It's just that the 9 speed has another worthless tiny cog. At least with the 11-32 instead of the 34 the unneeded cog is the lightest.

If you're like me and don't need or want the 34 top cog in back you might as well just go 9 speed (either learn how to tune it like a pro or find a top mechanic to do it for you), get the 11-32 9 speed XT cassette (like last year's model from ebay) and right off into the sunset. I've actually got two 9 speed XTR shift/brake combos (new in box, I call it ebay madness) but there's never a reason for me to "go 9 speed" because I'm already set up for 8 speed. The incidence of the usual rider opting for mechanical disk brakes is pretty small, which narrows down the buyers for any 8 or 9 speed combo shifter I might see on ebay. Whenever I sell a bike I've built up I always have to make it 9 speed so that's why I've been accumulating other seperate brake levers and 9 speed XT shifters. No one's going to NOT buy one of my bikes because it's got Avid BB7s on it but they'd balk at 8 speed!
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-15-2008 at 05:36 AM.