mtbr member

8 speed cassette?

I've borked my alloy hub by running a steel cassette for the last couple of years. It's fused on there tight! I have a new hub and don't want to make the same mistake again.

I'm looking for an 8 sp cassette with 34 tooth gear to help haul my big fat old butt up the hills. I'm currently running an 11-34 mega-range. I don't use the big gear often, but it's a big help when I do need it!

It seems alloy hub cassettes with 8 speeds are rare . . . I've not seen a 34 recently. I think the xtr m900 & m950 are the one's that have the alloy hub.

Anyone have an old cassette laying around? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance . . .

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by n2dsky

It seems alloy hub cassettes with 8 speeds are rare . . . I've not seen a 34 recently. I think the xtr m900 & m950 are the one's that have the alloy hub.

Anyone have an old cassette laying around? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance . . .
    I don't understand what you are talking about. The cassette mounts on the freehub body, which is part of the hub. The freehub body can be steel or aluminum. There is no hub on a cassette.

Are you talking about the cog carrier that the largest 5 or so cogs mount on so that the individual cogs do not dig into the freehub body? If so, nobody makes them anymore (in 8 sp), but there were XT and XTR 8 speed cassettes with cog carriers. Neither were available with 34t cogs.

mtbr member
    Yep - free hub body is messed up due to steel cassette digging in. Seems like I saw a 12-34 xtr m900 8 sp last year . . .

I guess I'll have to go w/ 12-32 or upgrade the whole works to 9 sp . . .

Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yep - free hub body is messed up due to steel cassette digging in. Seems like I saw a 12-34 xtr m900 8 sp last year . . .

I guess I'll have to go w/ 12-32 or upgrade the whole works to 9 sp . . .

Thanks
    I've never seen an 8 speed xtr with a 34t cog. One one of the supposed benefits of 9 speed was the 34t cog over the 32t with 8 speed (though there was no reason they could not have done it with 8 speed to start with).

Former Bike Wrench
    12-32 will be the max XTR 8 speed cassette...they never made a 12-34 8 speed

The better option is to get a steel FH Body, then you can run whatever you want.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    12-32 will be the max XTR 8 speed cassette...they never made a 12-34 8 speed

The better option is to get a steel FH Body, then you can run whatever you want.

Hmmm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+8-Speed.aspx

Has far has the cassette getting stuck on the freehub, when you put in on apply some grease....

Then clean your bike if you ride in anything salty, including salt flats etc....

Take the cassette off in the fall and spring re apply the grease you should be good to go.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    He meant xtr. Though the same is true for any 8 speed cassette with a cog carrier.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hmmm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+8-Speed.aspx

Has far has the cassette getting stuck on the freehub, when you put in on apply some grease....

Then clean your bike if you ride in anything salty, including salt flats etc....

Take the cassette off in the fall and spring re apply the grease you should be good to go.
    That is pretty far from an XTR you moron

Got any more zingers Canuck?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions . . . I'm pretty sure the HG 40 is what I have on there now . . . works great . . . except the steel parts that have dug into the alloy free hub body seem to have seized and will not back up to un-key apart . . .

I'll have to check w/ WTB again, but I don't think they make a steel free hub body for the laser lite hub . . .

I guess my options are for something XT or XTR 12-32, downgrade the whole hub to something compatible with the steel 8 spd cassette, or upgrade the whole system to 9 spd with alloy compatible cassette 12-34 . . .

I'm on a tight budget . . . I might need to just get in better shape to push the 12-32 . . .

I don't think putting lube on the free hub would have helped much . . . I suggest caution to anyone using a steel cassette and alloy free hub body!

-Steve

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't think putting lube on the free hub would have helped much . . . I suggest caution to anyone using a steel cassette and alloy free hub body!

-Steve
    Yeah too bad you didn't try it the first time around.....then you would know

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Know what? That is doesn't really help?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Know what? That is doesn't really help?

Well, those are interesting questions.....it they were written in english.

Yeah it does help, grease the damn cassette when you put it on, that way it comes off easier, even if it is steel and aluminium, or whatever...

I get a real kick out of guys that have a problem and don't even try the simple fixes, cause they don't "think " it will work....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Well, those are interesting questions.....it they were written in english.
    You are the LAST person who should criticizing others for cryptic posts.

There was nothing non-English about my post.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You are the LAST person who should criticizing others for cryptic posts.

There was nothing non-English about my post.

Didn't realize I was critizing you......I caught the drift....

So what? you going to go with tongue tied?

mtbr member
    The reason I didn't know any better is because I didn't know any better at the time . . . I don't recall seeing any instructions that said "therefore thou shalt not mix alloy & steel least the incompatible materials become physically fused together . . . "

Since the steel edges of the cassette actually cut & dig groves into the free hub body from the torque load applied to the hub . . . lube or grease would likely not do much to prevent that from happening . . . live and learn . . . now looking for a solution that's not too expensive and is compatible with my riding abilities . . .

Thanks for the input and support . . . we can always count on the free and generous flow of knowledge on this board!
    Last edited by n2dsky; 03-05-2010 at 04:46 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Since the steel edges of the cassette actually cut & dig groves into the free hub body from the torque load applied to the hub . . . lube or grease would likely not do much to prevent that from happening . . . live and learn . . . now looking for a solution that's not too expensive and is compatible with my riding abilities . . .
    Yes, I don't think the lube would have done much to prevent the gouging. Still a good idea to grease it, IMO, but that is not going to stop the gouging.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The reason I didn't know any better is because I didn't know any better at the time . . . I don't recall seeing any instructions that said "therefore thou shalt not mix alloy & steel least the incompatible materials become physically fused together . . . "

Thanks for the input and support . . . we can always count on the free and generous flow of knowledge on this board!

Yeah I get what happened...look the grease does help not matter what you think...Secondly the forces on a fully build-up cassette are far less than the forces on cassettes made of single sprockets or groups of sprockets....

Again next time put some grease in there it will last far longer and work much better...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, I don't think the lube would have done much to prevent the gouging. Still a good idea to grease it, IMO, but that is not going to stop the gouging.

Another thinker...geez guys do it, it will reduce the gouging maybe not enough but it certainly will reduce it....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Another thinker...geez guys do it, it will reduce the gouging maybe not enough but it certainly will reduce it....
    Yes, a thinker. Try it out sometime.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, a thinker. Try it out sometime.

Nope not in this case it is a no brainer....or don't you know what those are.