mtbr member
    Apr 2007

8 Speed? Anyone running less than 9 in the back?

I have a stack of older 8-speed stuff, but have just gotten a bike with a SRAM X7 drivetrain. Which shifts well enough ( a bit plasticky for my tastes). I'd like to know if I could use an 8 speed cassette at the rear mostly for preference, and for swapping my other wheelsets into the current bike.

OR, is there a shifter/derailleur setup that will accept 8-speed cassettes if I need to switch to accommodate the wheels. Anyone have any preferences? Thanks.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Yep. I've stockpiled enough eight speed cassettes and shifters to last me the next ten years.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

8 is Enough

No need for 9 - 8 is the way to go.

Better shifts less adjustments.

I am currently runing an 8spd X7 shiter with and 8sp XTR cassette and chain.

The following parts are all nine speed and everything works fine:
    XT Cranks
    XT front derailer
    X9 reare derailer
    X9 left shifter.

In you case the shifter and the cassette must match in order to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I recently downgraded my drive train from 9 speed Deore/LX (CRAP) to 8 speed SRAM x.9 grip shift. I went from having to tune my drive train every two rides to going through two months, 5 races, and dozens of rides without doing anything other than lube the chain and straighten the deraileur hanger after a crash.
    If your x.7 is a 9 speed shifter it will probably not work very well with an 8 speed cassette, because the cog spacing is a little wider. I can vouch that the x.9 8 speed shifter/deraileur combo works great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was having a hard time finding new Shimano 8 speed trigger shifters and just purchased a set of SRAM 8 Speed Attack Shifters from Pricepoint. They work with all Shimano Derailleurs (Deore, LX, XT, XTR) that use 2:1 actuation ratio. If you prefer the thumb shifting on your X7 triggers, the Attack's use the same set up and feel very similar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Jedi-
    Sounds like you have a similar setup to mine (though I have X7s). The SRAM info says they are 8 or 9 speed compatible, so it looks like I may have to look through the manual.

Would you guess the rear der. and shifter would accept an 8 sp. cassette?

No longer 26
    You will need the sram specific 8 speed shifter. The rear der will work fine.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by strader
    I recently downgraded my drive train from 9 speed Deore/LX (CRAP) to 8 speed SRAM x.9 grip shift.

that's definitely not a downgrade. but I know what you meant.

8 speed is the only way to go. so much less work to keep it running smooth. I hate grip shift, so I'm stuck with the X.7 trigger shifter. But even so I'd never go back to 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not to be too thick-headed, but I would assume that my shifter would indicate which gearing it would sequence with. I.E., the window on the shifter would relate to the number of gears on the cassette.

That being the case, does SRAM make an X7 8-speed shifter, or only the X5, Attack, etc.

Oh, yes, and change the chain to an 8 speed. (Me is lurning lots about these teknikal things)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

G-live is correct

The shifter and the cassette have to have the same number of shifts. SRAM makes an 8sp X7 Shifter pod which I have. The derailers are simply slaves to the shiters

Run 9spd on everything except for the following:

Shifter 8sdp
    Cassette 8spd
    Chain 8spd.

This will give you the benefits of current componnent technology with a reliable 8spd set up.

The worse thing that can happen is a little chain rub with the front derailer on some of the gear configurations.

Go for it!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds great. I've been an 8-speed guy forever (mostly because they were quiet and positive shifting). Thanks for all the advice!

Now I'll just have to dig up an X7 8 speed shifter! Oh yesssss!