earth surfer

8 speed to 9 speed conversion

My wife's mid-90s 8 speed Vodoo needs a new chain, casette and chainrings, but she's considering upgrading it to 9 speed. The rear hub is fine and it's a 2003 Mavic 8/9 speed compatible. Her crank is an older XT (square ended BB). Will I be able to convert to 9 speed by replacing the just rear shifter & derailers, cassette, and chainrings, or will she need a new crank and/or front shifter/derailer too? It's a sweet riding steel frame bike that deserves an upgrade.

Hoops - Big and Small

Been there done that

My Trek Fuel 95 (04 mod) has STX-RC (96 mod) square tapered BB crankset. I did change out the little ring as the 8 speed chain ring is thicker and was causing some chainsuck. You will need Shifters, Cables/Housing, Chain, Rear Derailleur, Cassette. No need for the FD replacement. The problem with doing this conversion is that is more of a bandaid fix as compared to changing to all same model year components. If you have mechanical abilities to take on this challenge, it's rewarding once it's finish and working properly. The on-line retailers used to market a conversion kit - maybe some are still are
    laying around. Try a Q-Bike search.
    Why are you switching out the 8 speed stuff? 9 speed is more sensitive to cross chaining, and a dirty drivetrain. Are you changing out all three chainrings? That could be costly.

[/QUOTE]My wife's mid-90s 8 speed Vodoo needs a new chain, casette and chainrings, but she's considering upgrading it to 9 speed. The rear hub is fine and it's a 2003 Mavic 8/9 speed compatible. Her crank is an older XT (square ended BB). Will I be able to convert to 9 speed by replacing the just rear shifter & derailers, cassette, and chainrings, or will she need a new crank and/or front shifter/derailer too? It's a sweet riding steel frame bike that deserves an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

earth surfer

Thanks

I probably won't need to replace the largest chain ring. She's on her 3rd chain with those rings and cassette. The chain is shot and the 2 rings and cassette are clearly toast. I have the tools and I'm comfortable replacing drivetrain parts. I'm just not up on 8/9 speed compatibility We were hoping the lower gearing of the 9 speed (22t - 34t) would be a plus for the more difficult climbs. I understand that 8spd still has it's advantages though. Thanks for the help.