Thread: 8 speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

8 speed

Is it possible to run an 8 speed set up with nine speed front chain rings? I can't seem to find 8 speed front chain rings with 4bolts anywhere and I'm sick and tired of deal with 9speed.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    Is it possible to run an 8 speed set up with nine speed front chain rings? I can't seem to find 8 speed front chain rings with 4bolts anywhere and I'm sick and tired of deal with 9speed.
    Yes, you can run 9-speed chainrings. You can also run a 9-spd chain with 8 cogs if you need to, but the 8-speed chain and 9-speed chainrings won't cause you problems, either.

I just converted my wife's bike to 8-speed today (mine always was) and the shifting problems seem to be solved based on a test ride with some good shifting under load.

Here's what I changed:

1) Cassette - now using SRAM PG-850, 11-32
    2) Right shifter - now using SRAM 7.0 (NOS)
    3) New 9-speed Shimano HG chain (that's what I had in the toolbox)

Here's what I kept:

1) SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur
    2) SRAM 9.0SL left shifter
    3) Shimano 9-speed chainrings (Deore)
    4) LX front derailleur

John Galt
    As an update, the 9-speed chain broke recently on this bike. I suspect this is due to the plates being squeezed over the cogs, which were designed for an 8-speed chain and thus are a little wider. The break occured during out-of-seat, steep climbing (probably the maximum normal load for a chain).

I'll be running an 8-speed chain on this bike from now on. I don't anticipate problems from the 9-speed chainrings but will report back if anything is amiss there.

So...I no longer recommend running a 9-speed chain with an 8-speed cassette!

mtbr member
    Hmm I learned it 9 speed teeth on 8 speed chain ok. Other way around is trouble!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I convert my old HT to new XT 760 crankset (middle chain ring with the N'gear Jump Stop) with a XT 8 speed cassette, and a 8 speed chain. The nine speed chain is too narrow for the cassete.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004

I used to do this all the time, no problems, works fine.

John Galt
    You're exactly right and I think I had simply let logic escape me!

So, to clarify because this keeps coming up:

1) If you have 8-speed cogs and/or chainrings, you must use the wider 8-speed chain or it could break like mine did, as the wider teeth will pull apart the chain
    2) You can run an 8-speed chain on 9-speed chainrings because the wider chain can work with the narrower teeth and the front spacing is the same for 8-speed and 9-speed
    3) It's not 100% clear to me whether you can run an 8-speed chain on 9-speed cogs, as the narrower spacing of the cogs is the reason narrower chains were made for 9-speed. That being said, I've read on this forum that it will work, but I've never tried it.

Another FYI: I installed a SRAM (PC-68) chain on the ETSX and love the powerlink! I'll be sticking with SRAM chains from now on. No more pins to buy and keep track of...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Wouldn't Recommend #3

Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    3) It's not 100% clear to me whether you can run an 8-speed chain on 9-speed cogs, as the narrower spacing of the cogs is the reason narrower chains were made for 9-speed. That being said, I've read on this forum that it will work, but I've never tried it.

Sometimes....

I wouldn't recommend an 8spd chain on a 9spd cassette but it can work. For something like an 11-34 9spd cassette the cogs for the most part are of different enough diameter that the ramps dont catch on the slightly wider 8spd chain. On something like a 12-25 or similar "road" cassette the chain will catch on neighboring cogs and try to "shift" itself.