mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. 8 spd XTR M-950 Crank & BB on 03 epic

Hi, first time posting in this forum. Searched in archives and couldn't get an exact answer. Just purchased an 03 epic frameset and installed 8 spd XTR M-950 crank and bb set. Come to realize that the largest chainring comes very close to chainstay about 1/8". I'm worried that chainsuck will tear up the chainstay. The spindle installed is 116mm and Specialized installs 133mm on their complete bikes. I just want to know if anyone here done this before and if you had issues. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tino

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tino,
    I haven't used this exact setup, but you should be fine. An eighth of an inch is plenty - and chainsuck will tear up the stay no matter where the rings are. That's all up to ring and chain wear, and a bit of proper derailleur adjustment, anyway. As long as all the rings have clearance, you should be good.
    Remember that the new XTR BB is a through-axle design, so the measurement will be longer than the first, splined XTR BB's. 116mm was the longest 950/952 made - an Ultegra or 105 118.5mm might work, if the shell is a 68. I'm thinking that Specializeds are 73mm, though, so the 116 will have to do.
    Jon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jw25
    Tino,
    I haven't used this exact setup, but you should be fine. An eighth of an inch is plenty - and chainsuck will tear up the stay no matter where the rings are. That's all up to ring and chain wear, and a bit of proper derailleur adjustment, anyway. As long as all the rings have clearance, you should be good.
    Remember that the new XTR BB is a through-axle design, so the measurement will be longer than the first, splined XTR BB's. 116mm was the longest 950/952 made - an Ultegra or 105 118.5mm might work, if the shell is a 68. I'm thinking that Specializeds are 73mm, though, so the 116 will have to do.
    Jon.

Thanks Jon for the info...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jon thanks for the info...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The largest chainring usually won't get chainsuck. Chainsuck typically will happen on the middle or smallest chainrings as the chainrings get worn/muddy or the chain is not lubed.