mtbr member
    Jan 2004

8 spd. drivetrain & deore crank question

replacing casette & chain on my 1994 Bontrager--I've had it about 9 years now. Mostly commute but ride trails too. Took it to the shop for some new chain rings & to install the casette & chain & they said it would be cheaper to put on a new Deore crank (square taper) than paying for new rings. Does this make sense? Is the deore crank OK? I was replacing an old 8 speed CODA crank. THX

Titles=Badges..Badges!?!?

You will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    replacing casette & chain on my 1994 Bontrager--I've had it about 9 years now. Mostly commute but ride trails too. Took it to the shop for some new chain rings & to install the casette & chain & they said it would be cheaper to put on a new Deore crank (square taper) than paying for new rings. Does this make sense? Is the deore crank OK? I was replacing an old 8 speed CODA crank. THX
    Yes, the Deore crank makes good sense on your 8sp drivetrain. I would think the sqr-taper deore crank would be much cheaper than purchasing 3 new chainrings. And even though a Deore crankset typically has 9sp chainrings, it will work perfectly fine with your 8sp system.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by RandyA; 01-26-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: grammar
    [SIZE=4]Randy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]~ Rush: "Mission"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thx

Thanks, this is my old MTB--in great shape-- but I'm saving up for a new MTB such as a Blur XC or Racer X. Didn't want to spend a lot, but I do like good performance.

mtbr member
    I installed a 9spd deore LX crank on my 8spd bike but wanted to keep my IG chain, shifting performance was poor. Using a deore LX 9spd front der and a HG chain solved everything.
    furibio

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my chain is an HG 91

Hopefully that is OK--its an XT cassette & chain.