mtbr member

8 spd- 9spd compatibility?

I just found a great deal on 94mm (8spd) Raceface chainrings @ nashbar; $50 for a whole set. Now I've run 8spd chains on 9spd rings before without any problems, but what about the other way around? Will my 9spd chain/cassette mate compatibly with 8spd rings?
    Thanks

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
    -Chris

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No Problem

Dont know if I'd even spend that much on a set of Race Face rings but there shoulnt be any problems with compatibility.

9spd upgrade kits don't include chainrings....i.e. you dont need 9spd specific chainrings.

mtbr "member"

But wait..

I thought 8 speed rings were just a bit wider than 9 speed rings. And 9 speed chains were just a bit narrower than 8 speed chains. So using 8 speed chains on 9 speed rings wasn't too bad but using 9 speed chains on 8 speed rings could lead to chain breakage.

Is this not correct?

REEK

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Been running 8spd rings w 9spd drivetrain....

Since Nov. 2000 with no issues/breakage/shifting problems. If almost 4yrs isn't the test of time I don't know what is in the bike world.

As I said above mighty Shimano doesn't even say it's necessary. Now if there was any doubt to compatibility you know they would say that you HAVE to use 9spd rings if only to boost their sales.

mtbr "member"

I'm a 8 speed holdout...

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Since Nov. 2000 with no issues/breakage/shifting problems. If almost 4yrs isn't the test of time I don't know what is in the bike world.

As I said above mighty Shimano doesn't even say it's necessary. Now if there was any doubt to compatibility you know they would say that you HAVE to use 9spd rings if only to boost their sales.

But now that you say I can run a 9 speed chain on my 8 speed cranks, I may give it a try. I have a set of 9 speed shifters in my parts box but didn't want to try 9 speeds due to needing a new crank/rings. I guess now I can just get a new chain a cassette and see if I can stop stock-piling 8 speed stuff. If it does just as well in the wet northeast then I'm a convert!!

Thanks.

REEK

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    I thought 8 speed rings were just a bit wider than 9 speed rings. And 9 speed chains were just a bit narrower than 8 speed chains. So using 8 speed chains on 9 speed rings wasn't too bad but using 9 speed chains on 8 speed rings could lead to chain breakage.

Is this not correct?

REEK
    All derailluer chains (and the teeth they ride on) are 3/32" wide. That's inside width on the chain. As the number of cogs goes up, it's the cog spacing and the outside width of the chain that shrinks. 9 speed rings sit a little closer together on the crankarm, which might, in theory, screw up front indexing, but enough people have done it that I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got customers using "7 speed" Campy cranksets and rings, no ramps, no pins, with Shimano STI. Works just fine. Without the ramps, it shifts a bit slower, maybe an extra 1/3 rotation of the crank before the shift is finished, but despite Shimano's marketing, it works.

Don'r blame the mechanics at your shop, either. Shimano's dealer information is as wrong as their consumer stuff. They'll tell everyone that you must match everything, or it won't work at all, but that's never been true.

--Shannon