Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

8 to 9 Speed Conversion ?

625 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed_Y 
#1 ·
I'm trying to switch a 2001 Klein Attitude from 8 to 9 speed. I've got everthing I need except the right bottom bracket. My new crankset is an LX Octalink from approx 2004 and I need a new BB to match. Does anyone know from experience what the match might be or is there any resource which could give me the answer??????

#2 ·
Which ones?

Ed_Y said:
I'm trying to switch a 2001 Klein Attitude from 8 to 9 speed. I've got everthing I need except the right bottom bracket. My new crankset is an LX Octalink from approx 2004 and I need a new BB to match. Does anyone know from experience what the match might be or is there any resource which could give me the answer??????
The blue-ish ones? IIRC, those take the XT Octalink2 BB.

That said, what is wrong with the cranks you have? I've used 9 speed chains on 8 speed rings a few times, and it has always work flawlessly.

#3 ·
I've brutalized my 8 Speed transmission through lack of maintenance. At this point I'd have to replace at least two chainrings, my whole casette and chain. It's easier for me to switch to 9 Speed (since I already have excess/spares lying around) and then not have to stock parts for both 8 and 9 speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.