Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

7spd vs 6spd vs SS for a masher

I like single speed.

Lately, every geared bike I have or had has chain skip/slip problems. It's like I can't avoid destroying 9spd cassettes and the puny chains that go along with them. I've even got mid-range equipment, and still within a year or so I've worn out.

When I run single speed, all the mashing in the world rarely result in chain slippage. I feel empowered to be able to put the power down and really crank on it...which I'm forced to do with only one gear.

I'd like to somehow combine the long-term reliability of a SS: 7-speed cassette, with wide spacing and thick chain, with the ability to have multiple gears.

Anything out there that isn't outrageously priced that will fit a normal 8/9spd cassette hub?
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 01-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    7 and 8 speed cassettes have almost the same exact spacing so you can just use a 8 speed that will fit your standard hub (7 speed requires an additional spacer). You will of course need 8 speed shifters as well.

A word of warning though, while the 7/8 speed chains have thicker side plates, the gears themselves are the exact same thickness as 9 speed. So you will get a little extra durability because of the chain...but it won't be a massive improvement.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    What about going to 6spd?

I've gone through a cassette/chain every year, and I don't ride more than once or twice a week.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    What about going to 6spd?

I've gone through a cassette/chain every year, and I don't ride more than once or twice a week.
    I think learning to spin would be a better solution...riding aerobic is healthier for your cardio anyway.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I like single speed.

Lately, every geared bike I have or had has chain skip/slip problems. It's like I can't avoid destroying 9spd cassettes and the puny chains that go along with them. I've even got mid-range equipment, and still within a year or so I've worn out.

When I run single speed, all the mashing in the world rarely result in chain slippage. I feel empowered to be able to put the power down and really crank on it...which I'm forced to do with only one gear.

I'd like to somehow combine the long-term reliability of a SS: 7-speed cassette, with wide spacing and thick chain, with the ability to have multiple gears.

Anything out there that isn't outrageously priced that will fit a normal 8/9spd cassette hub?
    I you ride a lot wearing out a chain/cassette in a year is pretty normal. I tend to replace chains a couple of times a year and I rotate among 3-4 bikes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    well what if I try to minimize this replacement schedule? I figure if I spend $150 on a setup that last twice as long, I'm almost saving money.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Use steel shimano cogs and chainring along with their best chains does help.

If it doesn´t help, use 2mm thick cogs at rear and use custom machined spacers and thumbshifters to operate the gear changes.
    Nearly idiotproof and long wearing.
    Experimental Prototype

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Would using 2mm thick cogs and building my own cassette work with non-ramped cogs?

I've noticed I've had more chain/cassette wear as the numbers of gears has increased. When I first started riding I rarely broke a chain on my speed cassette, but now on the tighter 9spd cassettes with skinny chains, I'm having more issues.