Ski during the off-season

7-spd rear der - what to look for?

I have a friend with a mid-90's Trek 8xx bike that has grip shifters. He broke his RD this weekend and needs a replacement. I know that there is little to no difference between an 8 and 9 speed RD. What about a 7-spd RD? My understanding is that the hubs are smaller on 7-spd's but I did not know if that would affect the RD. Also, given the age of the bike, would he notice any difference between any of the lower-end SRAM RD's? Thx.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Any R Derailleur Will Work Fine

If going SRAM just make sure you use a 2:1 derailleur that'll work with non-Sram shifters.

OT: And wow, that 7spd rear hub spacing thing has got to be one of the biggest myths in the MTB world.

I Love my Rize

The hubs are smaller

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    If going SRAM just make sure you use a 2:1 derailleur that'll work with non-Sram shifters.

OT: And wow, that 7spd rear hub spacing thing has got to be one of the biggest myths in the MTB world.
    The hubs are shorter for the 7 speed freehub but the cassette spacing is the same as a 8 speed. The 8 or 9 speed cassette will not fit on a 7 speed freehub but a 7 speed cassette will fit with the proper spacers on a 8 or 9 speed freehub.