Thread: 6 speed dilemma

Live fast. die younG.

6 speed dilemma

I've got an old Fuji Tahoe that I'm working on for a friend and I need to replace the chain and the rear derallieur. The rear cassette only has 6 cogs. I need some suggestions on a cheap (bottom of the line) rear derailleur and chain that will be compatible with it. It's got old shimano SIS thumb shifters.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Derailers are drivetrain-agnostic - they don't know or care if you have six, seven, eight or nine speeds on the rear. That's determined by only two things: your rear cogset and your shifters (which are the devices that actually determine your derailer motion).

The thing to watch out for is 'chain capacity' which tells how much of a difference the derailer can handle between small ring, small sprocket and big ring, big sprocket. That lever arm on the derailer is what takes up excess chain when you're in smaller gears, so it has to be long enough to be able to tension the chain in your smallest cogs, but the chain has to be long enough to go around your largest ones.
    soul cycles titan 1x8
    fisher marlin 1x7 hybrid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb
    I've got an old Fuji Tahoe that I'm working on for a friend and I need to replace the chain and the rear derallieur. The rear cassette only has 6 cogs. I need some suggestions on a cheap (bottom of the line) rear derailleur and chain that will be compatible with it. It's got old shimano SIS thumb shifters.

Thanks for any input.
    johnny's got ya covered. get any 6-7-8spd chain and a medium or long cage derailler mtb derailler (deore or lx is great bang for the buck or there's plenty of old stock drivetrain parts on ebay if'n you/he wants to keep it period correct). you may need to get new chainring(s) and a freewheel if the drivetrain is pretty worn (again- good deals on ebay. IRD makes some decent new freewheels)
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]