mtbr member
    Jul 2008

50 dollars to spend

Hey guys, I'm just getting into biking again. I have grip shifters and am quite annoyed by them. I want to get some decent trigger shifters for a good price. I'm hoping to spend no more than 50 dollars. Anyone have any ideas of some decent trigger shifters in the 50 dollar range?

Thanks guys

≈ > ♥
    If you're running a Shimano rear deraileur, go for some new LX or used XT rapidfires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes I am. Thanks I'll look into those.

Ok well both of those are 9 speeds and I only have 7 speeds. What would be next best bet?
    Last edited by whos that guy; 07-28-2008 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    trx triggers.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Go to eBay. I picked up a set of XT 8-speed shift/brake levers for $40 to throw on the wife's bike as she hated the Grip Shift stuff as well. Threw in some new inner cables for about $3 and all is well now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So I can make 8 speeds fit with a 7? Once again, I'm just getting into biking again and know next to nothing about bikes...

mtbr member
    Funny, I just asked this for making a spd to a 9 spd. You will need new shifters, cassette and chain. Depending on your front and rear derailer, yo might need to replace them as well. If you are looking to up grade to an 8 spd, I wou probably recommend just going to a 9 spd.