mtbr member
    Sep 2004

5 Bolt Variable Tooth / Wide-Narrow / Wolftooth chainrings?

Just this summer i updated my cranks to a new set of middleburn X8 with a 94mm BCD 5 bolt spider on my Kona Rajin with a 1x9 drivetrain (I also got a 110 spider i can switch out). I still like 5 bolt spiders because they resist bending and bolt breakage better than just 4 bolts. Right now i'm using a Bashring with a MRP XC type upper chainguide, which doesn't quite work as it should because i had to rig it a bit to not interfere with the bashring. I'm going to switch to a new type 2 derailleur and wanted to switch to a new variable tooth profile ring in hopes of losing the guide altogether, but all I can find are 4bolt rings, direct mount rings, and 5 bolt 110 in 36T+ (Cyclocross) sizes. I want a 30 or 31T if possible, or 32T max chainring in 94 bcd, or 110bcd.

mtbr member
    Afraid you have pretty much answered your own questions.......

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Afraid you have pretty much answered your own questions.......
    Right. Wait, there was a question in there?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Right. Wait, there was a question in there?
    Duh! i guess i never did get to the actual question... Can I get one of those? I guess the answer is no. I guess I'll have to break down and get a 4 bolt spider from Middleburn if i want to try it.

I also have a 2nd question. Which does the most to keep the chain on, they type-2 damped/clutch rear derailleurs, or the Variable tooth profile rings?

mtbr member
    for starters..you wont find a variable tooth design in a 31 tooth. for enders..its a toss up on what keeps the chain on the best, some will say the chainring, and other will say the clutch. some guys run regular derailleurs with a wide narrow chain ring and drop no chains, others run just clutch derailleur on normal chainrings and don't drop any chains, me personally, i run both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think i'm just going to upgrade the derailleur for now, keep the 94mm 31T 5 bolt ring and try it without the guide and see how it goes. I'm using a 9sp 11-34T XO cassette. When its time for a new cassette and chain, and I can up to a wide range 36T or bigger cassette, I'll decide if its worth going with a variable tooth 32t or bigger chainring. I'm sure There will be other offerings on the market by then. I think you're right, 32T is the smallest you can probably go with 104mm 4 bolt.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by gomestr View Post
    Duh! i guess i never did get to the actual question...
    I have to break down and get a 4 bolt spider from Middleburn if i want to try it.
    Yeah, sometimes one just needs to write something down to figure it out. As for the 5 vs 4 spiders, my understanding is the 4 arm/bolt is stronger, contrary to what is thought as more is better.

Quote Originally Posted by gomestr View Post
    I also have a 2nd question. Which does the most to keep the chain on, they type-2 damped/clutch rear derailleurs, or the Variable tooth profile rings?
    Ditto to ryandurep on this, some even run both and a top guide of some sorts:

Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review - Page 10
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    From my own experience with single ring setups I've had the best luck with 94mm 5 arm, which is almost impossible to find anymore. the 4 bolt setups i have used were stock oem with pretty cheap rings, so that contributed to their failure. I always use a bash ring now for impact protection, and it helps a little with chain retention. I have been trying different upper guides, but have trouble getting them to work mix n match style with different size rings and guards, plus you get something that just looks like a bulky front derailleur. I'm ordering an X9 type 2 short cage from my shop today.

mtbr member
    Wolftooth officially announced a 94 BCD narrow wide last week. I am guessing 30t is the lowest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Wolftooth officially announced a 94 BCD narrow wide last week. I am guessing 30t is the lowest?
    This is great! Where did you see that? They aren't up on the products page at wolftooth yet. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    This is great! Where did you see that? They aren't up on the products page at wolftooth yet. Thanks.
    I think they said they will start shipping mid-Feb. That is what their customer service folks told me via e-mail inquiry.

dadamamabooboo
    op, if you're gonna leave the ring alone for now, consider a jump stop. it mounts on the seat tube, is quite unobtrusive and completely effective for chain drop to the inside. i'll post a link to my thread about it. i use it for my 2x, but discovered most who are using it are using for a 1x system not running a NW ring:

14+ teeth? Jump-Stop! Best value in the market
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

dadamamabooboo
    oh yeah..i forgot..it's all of $12..
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Following up on my old thread: These guys: 5 Bolt 94mm BCD Chainring Now seem to offer them as an option on a "made-to-order" basis. but not cheap ($98 for an annodized ring).

Also: I'm going back a while now but i had also heard about Wolftooth offering 94mm chainrings. As far as i know, they never did any 95mm 5 bolt rings. There is a 94mm 4Bolt BCD (for Sram), that is what (I Think) they were referring to. They did end up making 5-Bolt 130mm and 110mm CX rings down to 34T.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had a jump stop/outer ring setup originally, and still had trouble dropping the chain. Also, i have very limited rear tire clearance for a derailleur type clamp. so most of these won't fit. I did run an MRP E-type BB mount cage type guide that worked well, but my new frame has a pressfit BB shell. I picked up a clamp type guide, but ran into a a few problems: Tire clearance, and incorrect guide angle to clear both the chain AND the chain guard. (I still run a bash ring). so for now I am running HALF of the guide (took off the outer half of the cage) to clear the bashring. It works OK, but it's clunky, and ugly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Did they specifically say they were 5 bolt? I'm going back a while now but i had also heard about Wolftooth offering 94mm chainrings. There is a 94mm 4Bolt BCD (for Sram), that is what (I Thought) they were referring to. They did end up making 5-Bolt 130mm and 110mm CX rings down to 34T. If they were going to do 94mm 5 bolt, I'd like to know for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I should have looked first! They do have them now, (But its made specifically with built in spacers for surly cranks): 94 mm BCD for 5-bolt Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I should have looked first! They do have them now, (But its made specifically with built in spacers for surly cranks): 94 mm BCD for 5-bolt Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com.