mtbr member
    Nov 2007

42cm Bullhorn with Shifters

Hi guys!

I'm putting together a commuter for a 13-year-old girl - my daughter's best friend. I build commuters with bullhorn handlbars and then wrap them up - looks great, is light, perfect. I saw a good deal on one that would fit her color scheme perfectly. Only, it's a 42cm jobie that's probably meant for fixies.

I'm going to be adding XT shifters & brakes, and I *think* I'd have just enough space to make it work - particularly because she's a very petite younf lady - but I'm not 100% sure. You guys have any experience with this?

Mike

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Bar diameter is different.
    You're going to have to wedge the shifter clamp open, maybe quite a bit to clear the radius of the bend.
    Its never going to clamp quite right it you can get them on.

42cm is plenty wide for someone that age. They are generally sized based on sholder width. I ride 42cm bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oh! Are they *thicker* than standard handlebars?

I've mounted four of these without any trouble getting the shifters on:

56cm Bar

This is what I'm looking at this time:

42cm Bar

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yea road bars are 24mm clamp and mtb 22.2. the first set 56cm bars look like the old school mtb bars with integrated bar ends

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the heads up, guys - I'd never realized that there's a size issue!

Question: Does any one here have any experience getting XT components onto a road size bar? I^m wondering whethering milling out the walls of the XT stuff would be an option.

Best,

Mike