awesome

Smile 4 Rohloff questions from a newbie

Hello all,

I've done a bit of searching but still have some doubts.
    I want to buy a Rohloff speedhub 500/14 OEM1 disc version from ebay, the hub comes with no other parts.

Here come the qs:

1-Could I use this on a Fisher rig single speed with ebb, vertical dropouts and avid bb 160mm disc brakes?

2-What about another ss with horizontals (longer than 25mm) and avid juicy 3 160m brakes?

3-Other than the cables, clickbox, shifter, disc rotor, monkey bone, cog, what other dedicated parts would I need to get separately?

4-Can I use a regular qr skewer and a regular 8 speed chain?

Thanks

ups and downs
    1: yes

2: Horizontal track end dropouts are possible but best with bolt on axle to prevent slipping in the dropouts. You'd need a chain tug on the drive side for sure with a QR. Chain tug may not fit on the brake side. Some brake caliper mounts can interfere with the Speedbone and need a touch of Dremel (not sure about the Monkey Bone).

3: OEM1 plate that's on your hub fits a Rohloff specific dropout, the OEM2 axle plate works with the Speedbone/Monkeybone, so you need an OEM2 axle plate.

4: You want a skewer that can exert a fair bit of clamping force, like the new DT Swiss ratchet QR's or a Shimano type QR. The QR's that use the lever cam with a friction surface to keep them closed can loosen up if some hub gear oil weeps onto the QR. Having a QR come loose with the Rohloff is very bad. Very bad. And 8 speed chain is fine.

awesome
    Thanks so much rockyuphill, that cleared up things quite e a bit