tiddler
    Jun 2013

3x9 front derailleur on a 3x8 setup (to solve rockhopper 29 front shift issues)

The short question - will I run into any issues putting a Sram x5 3x9 front derailleur on my 3x8 system?

The longer version: I have a 2010 Rockhopper 29er that works very well for me, except for the front shifter - I have had continual problems with chain suck and shifting from small to larger chainring, and these persist no matter how I or my LBS have adjusted things over the past few years. The bike uses x4R for front shifters, x5 rear derailleur and they seem to work well, so I'm thinking about replacing the front Shimano Altus with X5 too. Does this make sense? Is there a better option? I wouldn't mind upgrading front shifters too, but I'd prefer to abuse my current setup for another year or two before I think about going 9 or 10 speed.

Thanks all,

Sam

tiddler
    Jun 2013
    Ok, I understand if no one has a pat answer to this, but help me - is this as blindingly obvious as it looks (of course there's no f$&@in difference - they're both 3 speed!) or so nuanced that a relative novice MTB'er can't expect an answer in a single post. (Well, it will work if you're combining late '09 x5 components with the newer stuff, because the steel they were using in that batch had an unusually high Young's modulus, but you absolutely can't mix any of the '11 vintage)

For that matter, should I even be questioning the quality of the stock Shimano Altus front?

Thanks,
    Sam

mtbr member
    No need to be a smart ar$e.

People probably get tired of posting the same answer over and over.

Yes a 9spd FD will work on 3x8 crankset with your 3x8 shifter. You will get a bigger change in shift quality from a new "better" front shifter. FD are cheap buy the best one you can find. Jenson had some OE XT ones on clearance a while ago for very cheap $10ish
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 06-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

tiddler
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, and my apologies if I came across as too smarta$$; I was only having fun & meant no offense.

I did search a bit for this and didn't come up with anything, which surprised me a bit - I figured there must be legions of Rockhopper and other mtb owners with similar problems, but I couldn't find anything. Glad to see there's tons on converting to 2 or 3x10 because that will be my next step.