mtbr member
    Jan 2008

3X9 to 2X9 confusion on front rings

So i'm thinking of converting my 3X9 to a 2X9 so I can add a chain tensioner, b/c chain slap is driving me freaking crazy. I need my low end gears, and like my top end, but can sacrifice a little there.

I did a comparison using sheldonbrowns gear calculator, using a 11-32 / 22-32-44, and 11-32 / 22-36.

It like i'll only loose 2 top end gears that I think I can live without.

My question is, you can get a middle chainring in a 36t, right? I saw this on PP,

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/163...-Chainring.htm

and thought that might be what i'm looking for. Current cranks are truvativ stylo. Don't have the BCD in front of me right now.

And can I use my current 3 speed SRam X9 front shifter and adjust the highside, or do I need to get a 2 speed front shifter?

Sorry about the NOOB question, 2X9 is new to me. Thanks in advance.

Rub it............
    As long as the bolt pattern matches, you can put a 36t chainring on without issue. Yes you can use your current shifter and derailler. Just make an adjustment to the high limit screw.

Also, by dropping the big ring, you will need to find shorter chain ring bolts, install spacers on your current chain ring bolts, or install a bash guard of some sort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, I'll find a lightweight bashgaurd.

WIll the cage length on the rear D with that swap be OK? I would think so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jay80424
    Thanks, I'll find a lightweight bashgaurd.

WIll the cage length on the rear D with that swap be OK? I would think so.
    Yup should be fine. With a 2x9 you can use a mid cage or long cage with no problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The ring you are looking at is not ideal as it is a downhill ring and doesn't have shift ramps. Raceface makes Racerings in the size 36 you are looking for as well as Shimano and Truvativ, all with shifting pins

mtbr member
    I've ordered new chainrings (raceface) to do the same conversion. I'll be trying a 24t granny (I may try a 26t if I have the legs) with a 36t middle and canning the big ring. I'll also be swapping out the 11-32 cassette with a 12-36 to keep the overall gear range pretty close. I guess it's a budget 2x9 experiment as opposed to going with an all out 2x10 setup. In the past I've successfully used hardware store bronze washers on the chainring bolts to eliminate the big ring on other bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ti, thanks, I would have not thought of that.