mtbr member
    May 2013

3x9 to 2x10 questions

Ok guys, I wish to switch to 2x10, currently I have 3x9 (sram x9 shifters, x0 RD, SLX cranks and SLX FD).
    Should I switch to 2x10 made of these components: x9 shifters, x9 RD, XT FD, sram cranks (which comes stock on 2012 spec epic expert).
    What components can I use I already have? Can I use my RD with new x9 shifters? Can I use my m660 slx triple ring cranks with new 2x10 XT FD - how can I convert them to become double cranks? Will it work?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Mixing 9-speed and 10-speed ONLY works in the following configuration:

9-Speed: Cassette, Rear derailleur, Shifters
    10-Speed: Chain. Crankset, Front Derailleur

Otherwise, you'll need to buy all new 10-speed stuff. For the time being - you can alternatively go 2x9 with your existing SLX cranks, by removing the big chainring and turning-down the high-limit screw clockwise on the front derailleur, all the way in(screw closest to seat tube), and replacing the big ring with a matching bashguard.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I read somewhere I could use 9 speed RD with 10 speed cassette and shifters (only sram) but probably it would be the best thing not to bother with that too much and just get everything for 2x10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    For the time being - you can alternatively go 2x9 with your existing SLX cranks, by removing the big chainring and turning-down the high-limit screw clockwise on the front derailleur, all the way in(screw closest to seat tube), and replacing the big ring with a matching bashguard.
    Sorry to hijack but when doing this, is it advisable to change to a medium length rear derailleur from the long one? Also approx how much should chain be shortened? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign2Rider View Post
    Sorry to hijack but when doing this, is it advisable to change to a medium length rear derailleur from the long one? Also approx how much should chain be shortened? Thanks.
    A medium cage rear derailleur work just fine, for 2x10 with a 36t cassette. Chain length depends on chainstay length and whether or not the chain can easily go into the big/big chainring combo and small/small rings, without touching the rear derailleur's upper jockey wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: 3x9 to 2x10 questions

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
    I read somewhere I could use 9 speed RD with 10 speed cassette and shifters (only sram) but probably it would be the best thing not to bother with that too much and just get everything for 2x10.

You can get away with current crankset, converting it to 2x, and use 10sp components for the rest. Some people advise to use FD (and left shifter) 9sp as well, but I use 10sp with no problems

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For a mtb, you need shifter, rear derailleur, chain and cassette to move from 9 speed to 10 speed.

I've actually had good experience using a 10-speed chain on an entirely 9-speed drivetrain. The 10-speed chain is only 2mm narrower - but the rest of the bike barely notices it. Shifts just fine...