mtbr member
    Nov 2012

3x9 to 2x10 Conversion: Please help

I own a 2011 Cannondale Jekyll 4 with a 3x9 sram drivetrain including an x9 rear derailleur and x7 shifters. I was going to upgrade to an XO type 2 rear derailleur because it has a clutch system, which would eliminate chainslap. However, I found an XX rear derailleur for cheaper. Assuming that I would have to convert to a 2x10 drivetrain (I'm pretty sure I would have to, but not positive, hence the thread asking for help), what is the bare minimum of drivetrain changes that I will need to make in order to have the XX rear derailleur working right and be able to add a chain tensioner (also assuming that this eliminates chainslap; correct me if I'm wrong) further down the road when I have enough money.

By the way, the specs of my bike can be found here: mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/l/275/2011-Cannondale-Jekyll-4
    Thanks

mtbr member
    It depends if you want to convert to a 2x10 setup or not. If you want to just stay with the 3x9 setup, you could possibly just buy the XX with a 80mm cage instead of the 93mm cage.

If you switch to a 2x10 setup, you might also need to buy a 10-speed chain as well.
    29" Tires looking to buy:

Schwalbe Big Apples
    Continental Travel Contact/Cruise Contact

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ThundaCrymz View Post
    It depends if you want to convert to a 2x10 setup or not. If you want to just stay with the 3x9 setup, you could possibly just buy the XX with a 80mm cage instead of the 93mm cage.

If you switch to a 2x10 setup, you might also need to buy a 10-speed chain as well.
    Huh? This makes no sense. SRAM 10 speed derailleurs can't be used with their 9 speed shifters, so you can't use a XX derailleur on a 3x9 setup. Plus the cage isn't long enough to take up the chain slack for a 3X setup.

To use the XX rear derailleur, you will need a 10 speed cassette and a SRAM 10 speed rear shifter. Also, you will have to get the longer cage unless you want to run a 1x10 setup.

If you're wanting to eliminate chainslap, why not go with a X9 Type 2 RD, a 10 speed cassette, and X9 shifters? That'd be the best bet budget wise. All you're gaining in going higher than X7 is less weight, and there are much better ways to lose weight than in the shifters/derailleurs. I run a XX shifter/X0 short cage derailleur on my race bike. My buddy has a X7 setup. His bike shifts just as well as mine and I can't tell a difference in feel between his setup and mine either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, sounds like I'm going to get a type 2 rear derailleur

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coul I run an XO type 2 on my 9 speed cassette or would I have to convert to a 10 speed cassette. If so, which shoulod I get?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    SRAM changed the cable pull ratio when going to 10 speed. So no, SRAM's 9 and 10 speed derailleurs and shifters are not compatible. If you're going to use a 10 speed derailleur, you need a 10 speed cassette and shifter as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If I switch out my cassette, rear derailleur, and rear shifter to 2x10, will everything work?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm still considering converting to a 2x10 but I'm a little confused... What is EVERYTHING that I would have to change in order to do this?

mtbr member
    "Everything" consists of the drivetrain: shifters, derailleurs, cogs (cassette, crankset), chain.

You may be able the get away with not changing the front drivetrain: front derailleur, front shifter, cranks, if you decide to simply replace the big ring with a bash. You may or may not have to change the chainrings, depending on their thickness and comparability with a 10 speed chain.

If you replace the crankset for a true 2x, you need to change everything else.

Why not just go 2x9? Get a medium cage rear derailleur + bash ring, shorten the chain, and you're good to go... you might want to add a plastic chainstay protector if metal to metal noise irritates you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To go full 2x10, you'll need chain, cassette, both derailleurs, both shifters, and crankset. To go 3x10, or 2x10 using a bash, you'll need chain, rear dérailleur, cassette, and rear shifter, plus a bash if you want it. A 2x setup needs a medium or long cage dérailleur, a 3x setup has to have a long cage.