Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

From 3x10 to 2x10..help

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Carraig042 
#1 ·
I have always ridden 3x9 shimano, it came with the bike. Now I am buying a Blur with 3x10 dynasys and I'm thinking of going with the sram x0/x9 2x10 because I never, ever, ever, ever use the granny gear. I almost always ride in the middle(32t)+middle/small rings in the back or large ring(42) and middle/high rings in the back for flat flowy trails. Does it make sense for me to go to 2x10 using the 42/28 setup in the front? I'm not a spinner, I like the feel of resistance while pedaling. If I'm used to riding on 32 up front will I end up riding on 28 and small rings in the back or jump up to the 42 with higher rings in the rear or is it the same thing? The trails I ride are very tight and twisty, so I don't know if I would ever use the 45/30 setup they offer. Convince me 2x10 is the right thing to do. This will be my 1st bike in this price range and I want to get the build right from the beginning and not have to buy a 3x10 later or feel like I'm missing something with the 2x10

#2 ·
Sounds to me like 2x10 is definitely the way to go. Like you, I never use the smallest chainring. I recently converted a 3x to a 2x and am very happy with the performance.

I find myself shifting up to the big (39) ring in situations where I have would be in the middle (32) previously. And while I can't say for sure I'm going faster, it sure feels that way. When in the small (26) ring, I tend to use more of the cogset than I used to (theoretically increasing drivetrain life).

For what it's worth, front shifting performance with my SRAM X.7 is phenomenal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.