mtbr member
    Apr 2010

3x10 to 1X10 questions

Hi guys I want to make the switch from my 3x10 to a 1x10. My current drive train is xt group set with xtr shifters and a race face turbine triple crank.

I figured I would need to get an

1. xt shadow clutch RD

2. 34 tooth race face front ring (the new one with diff tooth shapes so you donít need a chain guide)

3. Will I need to get any new chain ring bolts or could you use the ones that I currently have on my turbine crank? (I am assuming I can still use the turbine crank that I have)

4. Anything else I might be forgetting

I want to try and DIY this and see if I can do it myself. Will borrow some tools from my friend.

Also will there be enough clearance with my chain stay when I switch my triple ring set up to a single ring set up?

Also could anyone give me a rough estimate on weight savings I would reach? I know the xt clutch RD weights a little more than the non clutch. So I would be losing my FD, a triple chain ring (24, 32, 42), the cable and housing for the FD, the xtr FD shifter.

Thanks in advance for helping me out just want to double check everything before I start making some purchases.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kumarpr227 View Post

2. 34 tooth race face front ring (the new one with diff tooth shapes so you donít need a chain guide)
    crankset is fine, remove grannie and outer rings leaving the middle ring (if replacing/resizing the rings use the middle location).. you can use the same bolts if you get a bash guard and bolt to outside to replace the outer ring. (recommended if riding rougher locations, and really just a good idea...)

you actually want a ring with all the teeth exactly the same, and preferably taller than stock multi ring setups.. the different heights are to make it easier for the chain to jump up and over when shifting.

you may still need some kinda basic guide to keep the chain in place leading into the front ring.. most kinda looks like a tiny plastic front derailleur and just keep the chain from jumping off the ring...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think he is referring to the xx1 style "narrow-wide" chainrings that are coming soon from Raceface and available now from wolf tooth.

Obviously make sure what ring you buy matches the Bcd of your crankarms.

Everything looks okay to me; might want to get single ring crankbolts. Was a nominal cost compared to everything else on the bike.

Shortening the chain is also a good idea when you are all set with your new drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So chainring bolts like these would work for my application?
    KCNC SL Single Speed Chainring Bolts : Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique

Also I donít know how many people are running with the sramxx1 style single chainrings.

My last question is this:
    What advantage other than "being new" would a 1x10 set with a clutch RD and new sramzz1 style single ring have over a non-clutch RD traditional single ring with a chain guide?

My riding style is casual XC with some light AM use.

Thanks in advance for everyoneís help.