Expert Crasher

38T Blackspire Question

I'm a big Blackspire Chainring fan - I've run the Mono Veloce on all my SS cranks and run the Super Pro rings on my 110/74 RF Turbines. Current setup is 24/34/Bash on my Sultan w/ an 11-32 out back.

For the next racing season, I'm thinkering of going 26/38 with an 11-34 - however, I don't see any 38T applications aside from the Mono Veloce SS ring.

-- How crappy would the shift be to a 38T ring without the ramps and pins?

-- I also run a medium cage XO - I assume it'll be close max capacity as I calculate a 39T capacity requirement using SpeedubNate's [IMG]excellent tutorial[/IMG], and the 'conservative' rating on SRAM med cage mechs is 37T.

Then again - I could just get the 36T Super Pro ring w/ shift pins which nets me a 35T calculation and run 24/36 or 26/36. This option seems more 'doable' since I'm not finding a 38T Blackspire Super Pro.

Who makes good, durable and lightweight 38T rings? Stronglight does I believe - just don't know much about them or where to source them in the US.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    is it bad form to bump your own post? Someone out there must know?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Don't know if this will help you... I'm using a 26 / 38 setup with TA Specialities "Chinook" rings. I bought them from SJS Cycles = http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

The shifting works fine for me. It 'sounds' a little more mechanical than say a set of Blackspire or Shimano rings (I use Blackspire's on my Enduro 24/36). My rear derailleur is a long version, so not sure how well your short cage will work.

Cheers

dirtbag
    I've got a 26/36/bash Blackspire set up on my bike but I'm running a 104/64 set up. I wouldn't run a midlle/outer ring without pins and ramps. The shifting may suffer.

Thanks for posting that SJS Cycles link markw1970 - I've been looking all over the net for 110/74 TA rings.
    Amolan