mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Which 36T ring for 24/36 setup

I want to set up a 24/36 ring crank using Shimano rings.

Looking at running XTR 24T small ring.

Choices for the 36T are the SLX M665, which is designed to be used with the SLX 22T small ring, or XT M761 which is designed for a 26T XT small ring.

Guess there will be very small differences, but interested which will give better shift quality when matched with the 24T? Reason I ask is that in XTR range, I see they make 2 different 32T middle rings, one specifically to be used with a 22T small ring, and one for a 24T. So there must be differences in alignment of teeth between small and middle rings

Underskilled
    You probably won't like my advice, but you asked.

I fully reccomend the Deore rings, they are steel.

I don't notice the increased weight.
    I do notice the snappier shifting and reduced wear.

I am a bit of a bike snob, so if they made the exact same ring but wrote XT on the side I would pay 20 more. This is the best ring going for me.

p.s. I put a lot of torque in

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    go steel

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Rule #1... ignore shimano's ratings, specs, and requirements. They do it just to force morons to buy only their products. The chain actually cares not a wit what brand of rings it shifts between as long as the gap isn't too large for the derailleur and the spacing between the rings. All the ramps and teeth profiles make a difference in is how much of a load you can have on the cranks during the shift and still get the chain to seat properly. Those of us who came from a time before ramps can knock off shifts just fine instinctively without needing to make any conscious effort to relax the pedals for a microsecond during the shift.

mtbr member
    I use the XT 36T here. It's silver in color.

Works great on both of my bikes. One goes to a 22t and the other a 24T. You are using XTR cranks right because the XTR granny gears have a different tooth offset relative to the middle ring. At any rate, both shift great.

The only problem I had, since both my bikes use DMD's. I lowered the front derailluers because I am only running 2 rings and with the 24T sometimes the chain would get stuck on one of the DMD bolts (forward most). So I just used a bolt with a rounder head and that took care of that problem.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    double post
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

Mad Scientist
    I just recently bought a Raceface 36T to use with the Shimano 22T cog. I haven't installed it yet so I cannot comment on performance. I saw these, for the price they might be worth a try.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=46221&cat=
    Gravity doesn't pull....it sucks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't worry, I'm from the same time...

But what I'm getting at is a little different from ramps & pins and lateral distance between rings.

I'm interested in the rotational displacement of the teeth on the 36 relative to the 24.
    This seems to be part of the reason for XX's reported great shifting (I haven't ridden it). Another factor SRAM taut's is the 2:3 ratio between rings, which the 24/36 has.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by countryMike
    I want to set up a 24/36 ring crank using Shimano rings.

Looking at running XTR 24T small ring.

Choices for the 36T are the SLX M665, which is designed to be used with the SLX 22T small ring, or XT M761 which is designed for a 26T XT small ring.

Guess there will be very small differences, but interested which will give better shift quality when matched with the 24T? Reason I ask is that in XTR range, I see they make 2 different 32T middle rings, one specifically to be used with a 22T small ring, and one for a 24T. So there must be differences in alignment of teeth between small and middle rings
    Any of them.

I use straight cut tooth rings (no ramps, pins or contouring). Shifts just fine. If it does not, you are stressing the drivetrain too much for a clean shift even if the ramps were there. That is why riders break chains/cogs/teeth.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common