mtbr member

36 tooth chainring for XTR M960 cranks?

Does anyone make middle chainrings in sizes other than 32T compatible with M960 cranks? I've searched and haven't found any other options from the few manufactures I've found that make compatible chainrings (Shimano, Blackspire, Middleburn).

Thanks
    Last edited by hardboiled; 06-01-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    the new shimano SLX 36T ring might fit, otherwise I've had good success with Blackspire.

mtbr member
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Are you replacing the middle 32t on a geared set up? The 36t off a SLX won't fit and the HBC doesn't have shift pins and ramps. As far as I know nothing is available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking for 36-38t 102BCD chainring. Does anyone know something about Zorloni?
    // stupid rules I can't post the link. ask google: ZETA.BIKE.COMPONENTS
    Last edited by emike; 10-02-2012 at 03:56 AM.

mtbr member
    i run 36/24 on my m960 crankset with a HBC unramped unpinned 36T ring and it shifts fine. use a SLX m667 front derailleur for best shifting with this setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    with a HBC
    According to the other topic on this forum I can wait my HBC order forever(placed 4 weeks ago) so now am looking for alternatives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Unfortunately, if you're looking for a geared ring - with pins and ramps - then you're pretty much SOL, just as Crazy8 has said. The good thing is that you can probably sell your crank arms for a relatively good amount and roll that into a new crankset with a more standard bolt pattern. The XTR 960's are still a fairly desirable crankset for singlespeeders.

If you're looking for single rings, then you're right... options are limited. Blackspire makes a 32 and 34 tooth ring. Tomicog does custom steel rings and can probably make what you need. HBC is sort of an option, but that business is a isht show. Order a ring from there and it can take several months to ship and in some cases, people dont even get what they order. I beleive that there is another member on this forum that is developing single rings for the M960's - a search should reveal the details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

custom cnc machined chainrings

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    Does anyone make middle chainrings in sizes other than 32T compatible with M960 cranks? I've searched and haven't found any other options from the few manufactures I've found that make compatible chainrings (Shimano, Blackspire, Middleburn).
    Yes, but we do not ramp or pin our chainrings.

Quote Originally Posted by emike View Post
    Looking for 36-38t 102BCD chainring. Does anyone know something about Zorloni?
    // stupid rules I can't post the link. ask google: ZETA.BIKE.COMPONENTS
    I have a few basic 4/102mm BCD 36T rings in-stock for $40. Other sizes we can custom machine within a few days.

According to the other topic on this forum I can wait my HBC order forever (placed 4 weeks ago) so now am looking for alternatives.
    We only need a few days to schedule machining from the time your order is placed. We've been manufacturing bicycle chainrings for over a decade, mostly for OEM customers. Give us a try and pay only when we ship - Warhawk
    Last edited by Warhawk; 10-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Warhawk Industries - Specializing in Stainless Steel, Titanium and Aluminum Chainrings

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Warhawk
    Pics, weight, colors, 9/10 or SS compatible?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

cad drawing

Warhawk
    Pics, weight, colors, 9/10 or SS compatible?
    I'm digging around looking for the rings up on our pallet racks right now, when I find them I'll post a picture, weight ect...Yes they are 9/10, SS compatible and are the standard .09" thickness with 3/32" teeth. We have black anodized material in stock for machining standard (basic) rings but also have green, purple, red and blue which is set aside for a batch of spiderless rings we are machining next week. Attached is a CAD drawing of exactly what our standard 4/102mm BCD 36T chainirng looks like.

If you like just tell me the specifications of the ring(s) you want and I'll go ahead and have them machined this Friday. I'll post the pics, if you like them you can paypal and I'll drop them off in the mail Monday. Just let us know, Thanks - Warhawk
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Warhawk Industries - Specializing in Stainless Steel, Titanium and Aluminum Chainrings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I'm digging around looking for the rings up on our pallet racks right now, when I find them I'll post a picture, weight ect...Yes they are 9/10, SS compatible and are the standard .09" thickness with 3/32" teeth. We have black anodized material in stock for machining standard (basic) rings but also have green, purple, red and blue which is set aside for a batch of spiderless rings we are machining next week. Attached is a CAD drawing of exactly what our standard 4/102mm BCD 36T chainirng looks like.

If you like just tell me the specifications of the ring(s) you want and I'll go ahead and have them machined this Friday. I'll post the pics, if you like them you can paypal and I'll drop them off in the mail Monday. Just let us know, Thanks - Warhawk
    are your rings reversible? if not can they be designed to be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had HBC craft one awhile back. Didn't take long since his demand was smaller when I ordered. He should have a few laying around since I know he told me people had purchased some and sent them back or something?

mtbr member
    If HBC had a few 36t lying around you'd think he would mail emike's order out to him. Also how would you go about contacting him. Did you talk to him by phone?

Quote Originally Posted by nj0ywatch1np0rn View Post
    I had HBC craft one awhile back. Didn't take long since his demand was smaller when I ordered. He should have a few laying around since I know he told me people had purchased some and sent them back or something?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't think emike contacted him. He just said he didn't want to wait from post made in the other thread.

I contacted HBC through email. This was about 3-4mo ago.

Nope. Never had to contact him by phone. Placed the order and had the ring on my bike in about 3.5wks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

yes

Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    are your rings reversible? if not can they be designed to be?
    If you want to be able to reverse the rings we just don't countersink the bolt holes, this way the ring can be flipped over without causing problems. We can also offset the teeth. Let us know if you have any other questions, Thanks - Warhawk

Members who have read this thread: 1