Hey I know U
    Apr 2008

32T vs. 34T cassette

What are the positives and negatives in changing from a 32T to a 34T cassette or vice versa?

The reason I'm asking...I have a new Trek Remedy on layaway and I keep reading on various forums that one of the negatives of the bike is the 32T cassette. I need to know why.

Thanks!

maker of trail
    Its a gearing change... and it really depends on whether you need it or not...

I run 1X9, and going from 32 to 34 made a small difference, but it was enough to make it more trail worthy... now I'm fitter and could probably do ok with a 28...

YMMV

mtbr member
    The change is just slightly more than 6% change in the in Granny/Mid/Big +32 vs. Granny/Mid/Big +34 combo (and higher in some of the other gear combos), making it easier to pedal. Here's a chart showing the ratios for each cassette:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ios-9speed.jpg

For example 6% is the amount you'd be going if you changed the Chevy Corvette's rear gear from 3.42 to a 3.63. Doing that in a car gives you more torque multiplication in each gear and allows the engine to rev quicker, with the sacrifice of slower top speed miles per hour (limited by engine RPM).

The Trek Remedy 7 & Remedy 8 comes with a Sram PG950 11-32 cassette. A PG950 11-34 cassette costs only $21 The Remedy 9 comes with a PG970, for which a 11-34 costs $30.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-PG-950-Cass...2em118Q2el1247
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-9-SPEED-PG9...QQcmdZViewItem

So the cassettes aren't too much money, (if you want to save weight and pay more $, get a PG980 for $45 or PG990 for $60), and cassettes are a 5 minute easy swap at the bike store if you don't have the cassette tool & chain whip. Your existing derailleur and chain will work with the new cassette and will probably work without any adjustments needed.

I should be studying...
    Unless you live in an area with lots of long moderate climbs or like to spin really high rpms, I think the 11-32 is the more reasonable choice when used with a triple chain ring crank. 11-34 is great for 2x9 or 1x9 or 29'ers.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

LCW
    mtbr member
    akornpatch - depends where you ride... i switched from 11-32 to 11-34 (still have 22/32/44 up front) and on the trails that i ride, it gave me a better range... the 11-34 allows me to stay in the middle more and less shifting to granny on all but the longest and/or steepest climbs... the 32fr/34rr ratio is nice...

and as i improve and get stronger, i may switch to 24/36 dual ring setup up front, in which case i'll be set with the 11-34 in the rear... whether dual or triple ring, for me the 11-34 made sense.... it all depends on where you ride, and your personal preference...

cheers

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    I must say I don't like 11-34T cassettes. My usual rides are 20 miles with 3000ft of climb, with gradients of 20%+ sustained (some short hills are steeper). I initial add the 11-34T cassette on a Trek 8000 (XC hardtail) and even when I was very out of shape, I never used the 34T cog. With the granny was to slow, and I always like to have something easier on reserve, so never used it with the middle ring. Once I got in a better shape, not even the second largest cog got used. So I was only carrying extra unnecessary weight. But, more important, I really hate the jump from 13T to 11T that is usually found on the 11-34T cassette. That's just too much. It's like an overdrive. The 12T to 11T jump on the 11-32T cassette is much nicer.

At the same time I changed the setup to 2x9 and put 24T and 36T chainrings. So effectively I only lost the granny 34T combo. Still, I never use the 32T cog with the granny.

Now I have that setup on a Remedy 8, and even with the added weight, I still don't use the 32T cog. And I'm not that strong. In my opinion, the only place for 11-34T cassettes is in 1x9 setups or 40lbs+ tanks. But the latter are not meant to be pedaled uphill.

LCW
    mtbr member
    again... personal preference...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've used both and personally like the 34t for the lower gearing in the middle ring, as MI canuck has explained.

Smokey

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    nothing wrong with 11/34
    especially when youre climbing over rocks & rollers
    plus the 5 arm carrier are stronger and the gears are less apt to bend with a 5 arm carrier
    I wouldnt base my purchase on the cassette any more than on tires or grips, just tell the dealer youll buy the bike but only with a 11/34

the only plus for a 11/32 is weight, the 11/34 does everything the 11/32 does plus so why wouldnt you want the added range?

mtbr member
    I like a 11-34 on my 1x9. I never use the 11t and never use the 34t (smallest and largest rings). When I had the 11-32 cassette on there, I found myself up in the biggest gear (32t) too often. I like to not use that gear and have a straighter chain line.

Weekend Warrior
    I run a 11-32 on a 2x8 setup and I like it. I rode a 11-34 a couple times and couldn't really tell the difference. If I really need a small gear I drop it in the small ring up front and even the 32t rear with the 22t in the front makes it really, really slow and too much torque. If you run a 1x9 or 1x8 i would say go for the 34t, otherwise save yourself the money.

In the future, you can always swap the 22t front to a 20t if you really need to go a 80% incline or 0.15mph .

I AM I AM
    I've found it does make a noticeable difference having the 34th gear rather than 32 if you climb a lot of hard or long hills.

If you want to know the difference two gears can make, just compare climbing up the same hill in 32, and the one below it, gives you an idea how much difference a couple of teeth can make.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by akornpatch
    What are the positives and negatives in changing from a 32T to a 34T cassette or vice versa?

The reason I'm asking...I have a new Trek Remedy on layaway and I keep reading on various forums that one of the negatives of the bike is the 32T cassette. I need to know why.

Thanks!
    The Remedy is a rather heavy bike when compared to an XC/Trail bike. But then it's going to be, it's a heavier duty AM bike. It will also, as others have noted, depend on your terrain. But the heavier bike and the terrain that it is designed for are usually a good reason to run an 11-34 cassette. The 11-34 cassette has a lower gear range for just about any given cog except the 11T cog. Standard 11-32 gearing is 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32, standard 11-34 is 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34.

Now as you know the more teeth a given cog has the easier it is to spin. So for every given gear except the 11T on the 11-34, which is the same as the 11-32, any given gear (on the 11-34) will be easier to spin than the same gear position on the 11-32. This is an advantage on heavier bikes or in very hilly terrain where you encounter sudden sharp climbs, or with rocky rooty terrain. Your fitness level and personal preference also plays a part in it. But as a general rule longer travel (and usually heavier) trail and all mountain bikes are better served with the lower gearing of an 11-34 cassette.

Your choice of course. An 11-34 certainly isn't a requirement on any bike, but it does make a difference.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"