mtbr member
    Feb 2004

32t to 34t cassette = new chain?

Hi All,

So, I'm not experiencing misshifts perse, just strange behavior such as the chain/rear derailuer binding against the cassette. This isn't a big problem - just something I noticed rotating the pedals off the bike. Other thing I noticed is that when I'm in the small cog up front, and the 34t in back, and try and shift down in the rear derailuer... It doesn't shift until I hit about the 3rd or 4th cog down...

Is my chain to short?? BTW, I bought the chain a month ago... Yeah, I'm a tight wad... Trying to work with what I have until the end of the season.

Also, I went from an XT to SRAM cassette. Not sure if this is a big deal (I have all SRAM in my drive train now)..

thx,
    mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by martinman
    Hi All,

So, I'm not experiencing misshifts perse, just strange behavior such as the chain/rear derailuer binding against the cassette. This isn't a big problem - just something I noticed rotating the pedals off the bike. Other thing I noticed is that when I'm in the small cog up front, and the 34t in back, and try and shift down in the rear derailuer... It doesn't shift until I hit about the 3rd or 4th cog down...

Is my chain to short?? BTW, I bought the chain a month ago...
    Chain length: Are you able to shift to big / big? If so, I doubt that it's too short.

Derailleur / chain bumping into 34 tooth cog: Try increasing B-tension. (Turn B-tension screw clockwise.) Don't go too far though or it may impact shifting.

Sheldon brown has a good article about this stuff:

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Chrome Toaster
    If you merely swapped out the cassette and did not adjust anything then thats your problem. Different cassettes have the cogs slightly offset compared to others. The way the spider holds cogs on a 32 and 34t is also different. That means if you change the cassette you need to readjust the derailleur to realign with the new cassette.

Chain length can be verified easily. Shift to the big big combo (not while riding the bike, you can break it if its too short!) and if it doesn't make it then the chain is too short. For some people this is fine as they don't use that anyway but for others its a safety to make sure the chain is long enough.