Thread: 32t or 34t

mtbr member

32t or 34t

Switching my 2x10 to 1x10. Leaning towards the 32 up front but not sure. Anyone running either of these have any input i would appreciate it. My bike is a little on the heavy side, 34lbs, which is why im thinking 32.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, the 32 should probably fit better...

mtbr member
    Depends a bit on your local terrain, lots of hills, then get the 32. Flatter rolling terrain then a 34 would do.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've just sold my 1 x 10 29er hardtail but for our local trails didn't need anything more than 1:1 so I ran a 36T ring with a 12 / 36 cassette - I had an adjustable chain guide though and when I went bikepacking or overseas where it is hillier I used to swap out the 36 with a 32T ring. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of how low you need to from your 2 x 10 and the lowest gears you currently use

dwt
    mtbr member

32t or 34t

Simple. The bigger your wheels, the hillier the terrain you ride, the more average your ability, the smaller your front ring. Where I live, I run my 1X9 w/ 650b wheels @ 31T (custom Homebrew ring) 11-34 cassette.

With 10 speed and 11-36 cassette I could get away with 32T.

If I get a 29'er I will run a 30T ring (new Shimano 4 arm 94 bcd crankset) 1X10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. Think I'll go with the 32. Im also rehabbing an injury and lost alot of leg muscle in my left leg. Now i just need to choose a chainguide