mtbr member
    Sep 2010

32/22 and bashguard - front derailleur?

Until now I always used 3x front. On my next bike, Im planning to mount a 2x+bashguard crank (FSA Gravity Light 32/22). What do I need to consider when buying a front derailleur and shifter? Do I need something special, made for that setup? Or do I buy normal 3x parts and the secret is the set-up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Your call...

you can get a double specific front derailleur if you want. Something like the Shimano SLX double works great, or you can go with a stand 3x front. As you noted the secret is in the set up. All you need to do to use a 3x front on a 2x set up is tighten down the high limit screw so that the derailleur won't shift pas the middle ring. That effectively prevents a 3x shifter from making that final click as well.

There is one advantage to going with a double specific mountain derailleur like the SLX. A double specific will usually have a larger capacity, i.e. be able to accept a larger middle ring than a tripple. Most tripple fronts have a max capacitity between the small and middle ring of 12 teeth. That means if you are running a 22t small ring, the largest middle ring you can use without issues is a 34t, a difference of 12t. In order to use say a 36t middle, you'd have to go to a 24t granny with a standard triple front d. Most MTB doubles will have a capacity of 14t, so you can use up to a 36t middle with the 22t small ring. This gives you a bit more versatility with your drive train. And many riders that go to a 2x set up do find that the standard 32t middle is a bit lacking in the high end. So they end up bumping up to a 34 or 36t. You can bump up your top end without sacrificing your 22t granny range. A 22/36 also reduces gear range overlap as well. So if you find yourself without enough top end with your 22/32 you can easily up the second ring for something a bit larger without having to fiddle with replacing the granny along with it. And you'll have more gear selections that are actually different in ratio from one another.

Anyway, your call. A double specific front d is usually more versatile. But a properly set up triple will work just fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

MattSavage
    Use a normal 3X FD, just set the upper limit screw to keep it from shifting into "3rd"
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

dwt
    mtbr member
    I recently replaced the 44T on my triple for a bash and adjusted the limit screw on the triple derailleur to stop it on the former middle ring, now outer ring - which is 32T. Works perfectly.

One question I still have is whether anybody recommends lowering the derailleur. I just kept mine at the 44T height, and as I said it works fine. But of course it "looks" wrong. Also, my bike (Intense Spider XVP) has a top swing derailleur and it would not be possible to mount it low enough for the proper height for a 32T anyway..
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.