Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3-speed internal hub gearing

782 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rodar y rodar 
#1 ·
hey people... i just recently picked up an old comfort bike and am attempting to revive it for the girlfriend. i noticed it's a 3-speed internal gearing hub, which i find intriguing, so i'd like to keep that stock. except for the fact that it is only shifting between two gears, and i am having difficulty understanding how to properly adjust it.

anybody have any experience/advice with this contraption? i understand the concept of how the gearing works inside the hub, but how does this mechanism work exactly? i read about the angle of the dropouts effecting the performance of some of these systems, but i don't think it makes a difference for this style, is that correct? just thought i'd ask before i start taking it apart...

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don`t know enough about them to identify your hub from the pic (just that it isn`t like the Schwinn I had as a kid and isn`t like the Nexus I have now). If it`s a Sturm Archer, have you checked Sheldon Brown? He has a boat load of info on those- also a bit on a few other makes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.