mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2x9 with X0 twist shifters

I nave a question for those running 2x9 with X0 twist shifters. What is best: leaving the top clicks unused (like you had no big ring) or leaving out the bottom ones (like you had no granny)? The first option makes more sense to me as it would not allow to downshift too much and create a lot of cable slack. However I'm a bit worried you may risk to break the shifters internals if you overshift (the fder could not move anymore and the cable would put a lot of pressure on the ratchet mechanism that is not at its bottom).

Is this an issue in practice or nothing to worry about?

Rub it............
    Use the bottom clicks and leave the top ones alone. With a properly adjusted front derailleur, you will not over shift and break something unless you are a gorilla and are just ham fisted.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I leave the top one open. I have had it this way for 2 years and have not had an issue with it yet. You would really have to force it to break it.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks, I'll follow your recommendations!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by frenk
    I nave a question for those running 2x9 with X0 twist shifters. What is best: leaving the top clicks unused (like you had no big ring) or leaving out the bottom ones (like you had no granny)? The first option makes more sense to me as it would not allow to downshift too much and create a lot of cable slack. However I'm a bit worried you may risk to break the shifters internals if you overshift (the fder could not move anymore and the cable would put a lot of pressure on the ratchet mechanism that is not at its bottom).

Is this an issue in practice or nothing to worry about?
    The FD high limit screw already stops the shifter movement before it reaches the end of its range.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common