Now broadcasting from CO

New question here. 2x9 w/ Road FD???

I heard of people running a 2x9 setup with a Dura Ace or Ultegra FD. I run 2x9 with an XT FD SRAM PG-991 (hollowpin) chain and XO RD. Could I easily put a SRAM Rival or Force FD on and get rid of the awkward adjustment on the XT? Any advice on how to do this w/o spending a whole lot of money replacing my brand new drive train components? Thanks in advance for the help.

-PA
    Brought to you by rocks.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Sure

I'm not familiar with the SRAM road derailluers but I'm sure they're the same as any other road derailleur. They'll work fine.
    You can run 3x9 with them too, it just requires a bit more trial and error with setup. I've run Campy Record, Chorus, and Shimano 105 f derailleurs on 3x8 drivetrains a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do be aware that road front derailluers use a different actuation ratio and may not work very well.
    I bike; therefore, I work

1946:2006:2066
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Do be aware that road front derailluers use a different actuation ratio and may not work very well.
    and chainline and ten speed narrow cage

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not any I have used! I have used road FDs with mtb shifters and mtb FD with road shifters. Both work just fine.

The real issue is the cage length. Both the total top to bottom length and the difference between the inner and outer cage.

The total length on most road front derailleurs is longer than mtb FDs. use the former on a compact or just small rings and it may hit the chainstay.

A road FD also has less hight difference between the inner and out cage for use with rings that are closer in size than most mtb ring setups. The higher inner cage can make the shift back to the big ring tougher.

Then, of course, front indexing is a stupid idea in the first place and even more so with only two rings. A friction shifter works better and does not care about the geometry of the derailleur.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not any I have used! I have used road FDs with mtb shifters and mtb FD with road shifters. Both work just fine....
    Nice to know I was misinformed.

Does this apply to the new SRAM road components also? Has anyone mixed and matched SRAM road and mountain?
    I bike; therefore, I work

Nice to know I was misinformed.

Does this apply to the new SRAM road components also? Has anyone mixed and matched SRAM road and mountain?
    I have no idea what SRAM is doing with the road FD. The road RDs and shifters are totally different than the mtb stuff.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I run a Durace fd7800 on my Dos niner, with 2x9 Raceface chain rings, Sram xo twist shift and Sram chain. First off, the derailleur is a piece of art, super light and smooth, also cheap at $80, compared to Xtr. The overall performance is fantastic and wish i could run them on all my bikes, but the derailleur is bottom pull only.

Now broadcasting from CO
    That sucks, cause I need a top pull... damn... and your bike is exactly the same setup as mine so it would work too... damn...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    That sucks, cause I need a top pull... damn... and your bike is exactly the same setup as mine so it would work too... damn...
    Then there is that. Most, if not all, road FDs are bottom pull.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Redundant click

I agree that index shifting is silly for two gears. However....Does anyone know if it's possible to modify a SRAM trigger shifter so that when using two gears in front there isn,t the extra shift in the lever.
    When I ran the Sram twist shifts i cut a piece of cable housing and stuck it in the shifter body's channel and that worked without problem. that wasn't indexed though.
    I'm really asking this because If it is possible to modify the shifter I'm going back to running 3x3. (a hacksawed cassette on an axiom singlespeed hub) I tried it for a while and with the exception of riding to the trail, the gear range covered what my style of riding needed. I've also ran 1x8 using a 26 tooth in front. And i've ran 3x1. The 3x3 results in less chain flex and quicker shifts than the 1x8. I figure 3x3 will prolong the drive train and fill in the gear inches missing between shifting through the three rings.
    Even with the limiters set, there seemed to be a lot of compression in the housing when I ran the thumb shifters and more clicks could occur without moving the deraileur.
    am i looking at this wrong - Would nokon housing stop that?

CHOP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    I'm not familiar with the SRAM road derailluers but I'm sure they're the same as any other road derailleur. They'll work fine.
    You can run 3x9 with them too, it just requires a bit more trial and error with setup. I've run Campy Record, Chorus, and Shimano 105 f derailleurs on 3x8 drivetrains a lot.

SRAM road derailleurs use what they call EXACT ACTUATION. The amount of cable pull is different than both SRAM mtb and Shimano.

No shifter will work with a SRAM road derailleur other than a SRAM road shifter.

Why change front derailleurs at all? Why not just limit the FD to two gears?
    It's simple, easy and free.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinsMental

No shifter will work with a SRAM road derailleur other than a SRAM road shifter.
    Any non-indexed shifter will.