mtbr member

2x9 setup takes 2 up-shifts to go into biggest cog

I currently have a 2x9 setup with a BBG bash guard (I took off the biggest ring so now, I have the granny and middle ring)

I set the high limit screw to prevent my chain to shift into the bashguard, however, when I try to shift from the small ring to big ring (middle), it requires 2 shifts to properly shift in. I tried adjusting the barrel adjuster, but no matter how many turns I put into it, it doesn't seem to shift correctly.

Do I have to tighten my cable more? I don't supposed it has anything else to do with the limit screws.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's (cable) either too loose or way too tight, I'd start from square 1

shift ft. derailleur all the way down (granny position)
    loosen bolt connecting ft. derailleur cable and turn adj. barrel all the way in (clockwise)
    make sure derailleur cage is parallel with chainrings
    check low limit screw adjustment (chain should barely clear inside of derailleur cage when in the largest rear cog)
    re-attach derailleur cable so it is taught in this position
    shift from granny to middle ring- use barrel adj. to add a bit of tension at this time if necessary.
    Ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Sounds like it's (cable) either too loose or way too tight, I'd start from square 1

shift ft. derailleur all the way down (granny position)
    loosen bolt connecting ft. derailleur cable and turn adj. barrel all the way in (clockwise)
    make sure derailleur cage is parallel with chainrings
    check low limit screw adjustment (chain should barely clear inside of derailleur cage when in the largest rear cog)
    re-attach derailleur cable so it is taught in this position
    shift from granny to middle ring- use barrel adj. to add a bit of tension at this time if necessary.
    Ride!
    thanks, I'll try that when I get home from work

mtbr member
    so I've spent way too long on this. Usually i can tune my drivetrain in about 15-20 minutes but I spent over an hour trying to get this to work!

I followed the steps above first tightening the clamp cable by handle (pulling firmly) and turning the 5mm allen. this didn't work so I got a pair of pliers, held down the clamp cable (more firmly) and turned the 5mm allen.

After that, I adjusted the barrel adjuster (started off at all the way in and worked towards tightening or turning CCW). I finally got the upshift to my middle (biggest) ring to work, but now it won't shift back down. I tried minor tuning with the barrel adjuster but it just won't work... Why is this?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    so I've spent way too long on this. Usually i can tune my drivetrain in about 15-20 minutes but I spent over an hour trying to get this to work!

I followed the steps above first tightening the clamp cable by handle (pulling firmly) and turning the 5mm allen. this didn't work so I got a pair of pliers, held down the clamp cable (more firmly) and turned the 5mm allen.

After that, I adjusted the barrel adjuster (started off at all the way in and worked towards tightening or turning CCW). I finally got the upshift to my middle (biggest) ring to work, but now it won't shift back down. I tried minor tuning with the barrel adjuster but it just won't work... Why is this?
    The most important part about getting your FD to work is setting your base line. If it's not in the right spot when in the granny it's never going to work. I prefer to set the low limit screw so that the cage is rubbing ever so slightly when the bike is in the lowest possible gear. Some bikes need to have a millimeter of clearance to drop into the granny ring though.

What are the components and BB setup your having trouble with? DId you change anything out? Some times having the FD 'tail out' helps significantly.

Don't get frustrated. The FD seems to be the nemesis of most home wrenches.

Ride Responsibly
    Might be a dirty shifter!
    Try resetting the outside limit screw a bit more toward the bashgaurd.

mtbr member
    I just have sram x5 shifters & drive. I didn't change anything out other than taking out my biggest ring in place for a BBG guard.

With the cable off the clamp, it looks like the front der barely moves whether I tighten or loosen the lower limit screw...

LWright - what do you mean by resetting the H limit towards the bashguard? do you mean CCW loosen the screw?

Tool
    LWright - what do you mean by resetting the H limit towards the bashguard? do you mean CCW loosen the screw?
    Yes, that's what he means. Back that puppy out until you can bump the chain into the bashguard. If the screw is in too far, no amount of cable tweaking is going to improve your shifting.

Assuming the derailleur is properly aligned and shifters/cables/housing are in good working order, there are really only two factors involved in getting the shifting right: The limit screws and cable tension.

The limit screws set the two extreme positions of the derailleur. Cable tension mostly affects where the derailleur sits over the middle ring in a three ring setup. Your modified two ring setup should be fairly insensitive to cable tension since the derailleur will be sitting against either the high or low limit screws. That having been said, too much or too little tension could prevent you from getting the deraileur into one of the two positions.

Did the bike shift properly into the middle ring before swapping the big ring for the bash? If so, you shouldn't have had to do more than adjust the high limit screw and be on your way.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Try resetting the outside limit screw a bit more toward the bashgaurd.
    I'm sorry but that's not going to do a damn bit of good.

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I'm sorry but that's not going to do a damn bit of good.
    MY bad, I assumed he had moved the outside limit screw to avoid the chain moving into the bashgaurd. I should have said to adjust the outside limit screw in a manner that allows the derailleur cage to move a bit more to the outside, away from the middle ring.
    Last edited by LWright; 11-06-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Maybe I read the OP wrong that he had set the outside screw way in to keep the chain away from the inside of the bashgaurd.

Tool
    It's also possible that your derailleur pivots need to be lubed. With the cable disconnected and the chain on the granny ring, the derailleur should sit firmly against the low limit screw. If it does not, it's sticking and you need to get it moving smoothly. If the return spring is somehow malfunctioning, it could also cause this, but that's less likely as springs usually fail completely, not partially.

This might explain some of the difficulty you've been having and the seemingly moving target: if the derailleur was not sitting against the low limit screw when you attached the cable, the starting cable tension may have been too high and turning the barrel adjuster CCW would have made this even worse, making it difficult or impossible to get into the granny ring.

mtbr member
    Hmm seems pretty jacked up... The pivot seems fine right now.

I'll continue trying to adjust this sucker. How tight should the clamp pull the cable when in the granny ring?

Ride Responsibly
    "I don't supposed it has anything else to do with the limit screws."

Yes, start over.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

"Yes, that's what he means. Back that puppy out until you can bump the chain into the bashguard. If the screw is in too far, no amount of cable tweaking is going to improve your shifting."
    Exactly what I meant, thank you.
    Last edited by LWright; 11-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Tool
    How tight should the clamp pull the cable when in the granny ring?
    Less than the force it takes to keep the derailleur against the low limit screw; roughly zero.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Height is also an important part of the front der. If it is too high the chain will just continue to rub. And if it is too low you will have contact between th rings and the der. cage.

Did you have to move the deraileur at all when installing the bash guard?

Plays with tools
    I just have sram x5 shifters & drive. I didn't change anything out other than taking out my biggest ring in place for a BBG guard.

With the cable off the clamp, it looks like the front der barely moves whether I tighten or loosen the lower limit screw...

Did you drop the FD down? Most of the conversions I've done it needed to stay up as if the big ring was still there. When I've tried to bring it down I've had problems like your describing.

When you say it takes two shifts, does one shift place the FD roughly over the middle ring and then the second shift gives it enough force to get it to actually shift?

I'm starting to think you have miss-routed your cable into your FD.

mtbr member
    I didn't mess with the FD at all.

It doesn't upshift twice anymore. it shifts up but now it won't shift down

Ride Responsibly

Cable too tight or limit adjustment off.

official eMpTyBRain
    Was the shifter in the granny position when you tightened the cable for the FD to be in the granny position?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Plays with tools

It's time for you to visit that wonderful place commonly referred to as "the local bike shop"

mtbr member
    haha yeah, i'll probably be making a trip there.... I've managed to get this dang thing to do only one thing and not the other. I got it to shift up, but when I barely turn the barrel adjuster or turn the low limit screw, it will shift down but won't shift up again!

Tool
    So your front shifter's broken?

That could happen if you tightened the high limit screw and made a forceful attempt to shift the derailleur further outboard than the screw would allow.

mtbr member
    hmm I don't think that's the case. I rarely shifted my gears to my biggest ring which is why I went 2x9. I hope the shifter isn't broken... sigh maybe I should just get a new drivetrain for a 2x9.... or just never use my granny ring