mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2x9 setup with Shimano XT FC-M752 cranks?

Hi

I have Shimano XT FC-M752 cranks (they're still going strong) and I'm thinking in trying a 2x9 setup, 40-26 o 42-28. I don't like hollowtech II XT cranks because their huge q-factor, and I like my actual 170mm q-factor.

When I need to change the middle ring I have some problems to find them, because "compatible" 104BCD Shimano rings don't fit in this cranks and they would need a little dremmel to fit them, only the specific middle ring or an old Deore 510 are compatible. It seems that 752 has a bit longer inner arm and many rings don't fit, and I think I could have problems when installing a big ring in the middle ring position.
    Is there anyone with a 2x9 setup with this cranks? Any suggestions on wich rings to use?
    Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Blackspire makes 38 and 40 tooth rings designed for a 2x drivetrain that sit in the middle ring position.

Blackspire - SuperPro Chainrings | Blackspire

mtbr member
    26 to 40t seems like a really big jump to me. Do you really need a 40 or 42t big ring? Unless you do a lot of very high speed descents (or ride on the road a lot) I think you might be happier (both in gearing and shifting performance) with a 36-38t