Thread: 2x9 Question

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2x9 Question

I'm wanting to ditch my granny gear on my xc bike (b/c I don't use it). I tried adjusting my limit screw so that I can run it as a 2x9 but couldn't get it to work. I shifted the front der all the way down to the granny gear and then tried to line it up with the middle ring but it wouldn't adjust out far enough. It's deore deraillieur and I don't know if I would need to get a different deraillieur or if there's a trick to this or what.

Anybody else out there make this switch or have any ideas as to what I could do?

Sir Hurt Locker
    Are you converting to a large and medium sized chainring combo? You sure you want to get rid of the granny? Have you considered converting to a 2x9 setup with a slightly larger granny and smaller big ring? Just a thought.

But anyways, not really sure why you are having a hard time adjusting your derailleur. Follow the instructions here and it should be fine.
    Cheers,

Seb

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver85
    I'm wanting to ditch my granny gear on my xc bike (b/c I don't use it). I tried adjusting my limit screw so that I can run it as a 2x9 but couldn't get it to work. I shifted the front der all the way down to the granny gear and then tried to line it up with the middle ring but it wouldn't adjust out far enough. It's deore deraillieur and I don't know if I would need to get a different deraillieur or if there's a trick to this or what.

Anybody else out there make this switch or have any ideas as to what I could do?
    Adjust the limit screw with the derailleur in the "middle" ring position. There is too much resistance to be able to move the FD with the limit screw.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also, if the limit screw isn't long enough to park the derailleur over the middle ring, you might want to get the entire driveside crankarm closer to the centerline of the bike, if possible. How to accomplish that will depend on what your particular crank/bottom bracket are, and most likely your frame's bottom-bracket shell width too, so post full details if you want more guidance on that.

Today, I finally said the heck with it and removed my 22T ring from my XT M760 crankset, then used some spacer trickery to get the driveside arm closer to the centerline of the bike. So far, so good

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for all the advice folks...i'll let you know how it all turns out. peace.