WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!

2x9 maximum gear range..thinking 24-38 + 11-34?

Hi all,

Haven't posted on MTBR forever, so forgive me if this is a repost, did try searching.

I'm looking to get the maximum gear range possible on a Canondale Gemini using two chainrings. I do need a bash guard and appreciate clearance--a third ring is out of the question. I am pretty much using this thing as an all purpose bike and currently run out of top-end on it all too frequently with the stock 22-32 rings and 11-32 set in back. The low gearing is fine as is, I don't want to raise or lower it.

I was thinking of going to 24 and 38 chainrings with an 11/34 cogset. I'm not sure if the front derailer is up to the 14 tooth jump, I've never run anything more than 12. I don't mind if changing chainrings winds up being a little clunky, but certainly want ti to be possible. I'd go even bigger on the middle chainring if its possible, but guessing 14 teeth is pushing it.

Appreciate any suggestions!
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've run a 22/36 setup and it has worked OK. It wasn't great and the shifting was pretty clunky, but it worked. That being said, I never really shift a whole lot. I usually hust stay in the middle ring and only shift down for really big/steep hills or when my legs are burned out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I've run a 22/36 setup and it has worked OK. It wasn't great and the shifting was pretty clunky, but it worked. That being said, I never really shift a whole lot. I usually hust stay in the middle ring and only shift down for really big/steep hills or when my legs are burned out
    I've been running a 22-36 on my AMish bike for a few years, and it works well. You need to be more precise than normal when setting things up, but it works.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I made the jump last yr to 24-34t rings w/11-43 cassette. Then went to and settled on 26-36t rings w/11-34 cassette. This works great for me. I really don't need anything bigger than a 36 t ring, if I want to go faster, I get off of the brakes and hold on.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"