mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2x9 Chainline Info

I run a LX outboard bearing crank which I converted to a 2x9/Bash. I can adjust my chainline. Do I have to? Is there a rule of thumb to set your chainline? I would also
    like to run a 34T instead of my 32T. Can anyone suggest a good 34T to run they see to be tough to find. (Moonhead is nice but too pricey for me)
    Thanks.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by plazcek
    I run a LX outboard bearing crank which I converted to a 2x9/Bash. I can adjust my chainline. Do I have to? Is there a rule of thumb to set your chainline? I would also
    like to run a 34T instead of my 32T. Can anyone suggest a good 34T to run they see to be tough to find. (Moonhead is nice but too pricey for me)
    Thanks.
    I've been running granny, middle, bash for a few years now on different bikes and different cranksets and I've never messed with the Chainline. If the chainline is already good, it's good, and it's set off of the middle ring. Unless you moved the rings in or out on the crank spider or something like that.

Salsa has good rings, RaceFace has good rings, both can be had from www.speedgoat.com

Monte

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Not that I'm an expert..

Quote Originally Posted by plazcek
    Thanks.
    I had a similiar question when I set my bike up as a 1x9. Here's what I kept referring back to:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

That said, the bike has been functioning smoothly (the chain doesn't derail now that I'm using a Jump-Stop) so I never did achieve a "great" chainline. I'm right at 50mm but but my chainline isn't straight unless I'm in the 6th or 7th (outer) cog. Ideally, I'd get a 68x107 bb (right now I have a 113) but am having a hard time spending the money when everything is working so smoothly already.

Maybe the answers to you question will help me break loose of some cash or make me glad I held onto my money.

Can't give any advice on the front ring. I'm running a Blackspire Mono Veloce right now and am really impressed by it's SS specfic and won't help you much..