mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2x9 chain rubbing top gear when on lower

Ok, so I'm kinda new to biking and here's my problem, I have a 2006 specialized enduro expert. My set up is stock Truvativ Stylo with Black Spire Stinger shift guide, 24A/36A/alloy guard teeth, 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth cassette, Shimano M-580 LX, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull front derailer, and SRAM X-9, 9-speed mid cage rear derailer. Any way I was going for a ride (mostly up hill) and my master link broke (SRAM PC-971 with Power Link) I was able to patch it together and make it to a REI store and had them put a new chain(SRAM PC-951 with Power Link) on as I was determined to go on this ride now!!! So as I leave I hear a rubbing sound, I assumed it was due to some front derailer minor adjustment, and found it didn't make the sound on the top ring. So I finished my ride and start trying to figure out my new sound. I did find my cranks were a turn and a half loose but after tightening it there was no change. I've looked around and determined that I have the correct chain. I'm not sure if the wear on the gears is causing this, REI said my wear was ok but....not sure if I trust them. So after the power of google search I have turned to ask for help from you guys. Thanks for any insight...Oh, it rubs if chain is on bottom ring, tallest rear gear, not crossing the chain... HELP!!

mtbr member
    It sounds like your front derailleur is not adjusted. Try going to youtube and type in front derailleur adjustment. They have a ton of videos on tuning your front and rear derailleur.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

AZ
    banned
    Sounds like the front derailuer needs a minor adjustment , here is a link that will help you make the adjustment .

www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html -

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It doesn't touch the front derailer, the chain has rubbed all the anadized off the top gear, like the chain is to fat....

mtbr member
    so your chain is rubbing your 36 when on the 24, regardless of the gear your in on the cassette?

do you have any pics of the damage and drivetrain?

edit: also the rubbing sound and chainring wear may not be related. the chainring wear is most likely just from normal shifting from small to middle. the rubbing sound could very well be the front mech. are you sure it's not the mech?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by taylortd
    It doesn't touch the front derailer, the chain has rubbed all the anadized off the top gear, like the chain is to fat....
    Did they sell you an 8 speed chain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My new chain is a SRAM PC-951 with Power Link, which is 9 speed

I can have some pics up this afternoon, but you are correct, chain is rubbing the 36 when on the 24, regardless of the gear on the cassette.

and it's sounds like a rod knock. I can watch every other link rub the 36. It did not make this loud of noise with the old chain. I'm about ready to take it to a LBS... this has me stumped.

mtbr member
    do you have another 9 spd chain lying around you could mount?
    is your 36t ring loose?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I removed and replaced both the 24 and 36, they are tight, I will buy a different chain this weekend and try it.
    by replace i don't mean with a new one. I just took it apart to look at it and check for bent,
    Last edited by taylortd; 03-05-2010 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here are some pics and hopefully a small vid of my problem, it seems to only rub at the bottom. It is a slight rubbing noise in this video but if it's under load it's a clunk clunk clickity clack. maybe new cranks and 24 36's would fix it... This might take a while to load.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by taylortd; 03-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The marks on your 36T look like normal shifting scuffs on an older ring. Can't see the teeth on the 36, but the 24t looks like it's pretty close to needing replacement, btw. I watched your video and I couldn't tell from it what was going on....couldn't actually see it rubbing the 36 either, just heard the slight noise. In one pic it looks like your chain is riding too close to the Stinger backing plate but the others look normal...maybe camera angle. Also, you were pedaling backward in the vid...does it make the same noise when you're pedaling forward under load? Does it make the noise in other cogs?

A new chain shouldn't make any new issues with rubbing like that even if the teeth are worn, and there's no difference between the 971 and 951 except color, so I'm thinking there's an adjustment issue with the derailleur, or possibly a bent/warped ring? Bent crank/spider...? Do you see any wobbling when you slowly spin the cranks without chain and one eye closed?

Looking at the vid again, it almost looks as if the chain is slightly hitting the leading edge of the Stinger, by the roller...no marks there? Also, if your crank was loose, a) are you sure you torqued it properly so that it's fully seated, b) is it possible that the front derailleur was set up while the crank was loose, and c) any possibility that your crank splines are damage and wobbly from having ridden with it loose?

Hard to tell from the vid and pics, sorry. Stellar effort, though...the vid is a great idea! Don't know what else to tell you without being there in person.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the insight everyone, I've decieded to take it to a LBS this afternoon.

Something I didn't mention is I have replaced my wheelset with tubeless wheels, Not sure if the hub is wider, Anyway, There is no rubbing on my stinger, but it almost looks like there is a wobble when watching the bash ring.
    I think I might have a bent ring, No wobble after tightening crank, but I'm not sure if it's seated correctly. The sound turns into a VERY LOUD CLUNK CLUNK when peddling forward and actually riding bike. (under load)

Hopefully The bike shop can help me out. I will post my results / damage and $$$$ when I get my bike back. Thanks again for t he help

mtbr member
    I was watching the video and looking at the pictures it looks like the the 36 is bent a little bit.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by homegrown_xt
    I was watching the video and looking at the pictures it looks like the the 36 is bent a little bit.
    looks that way in the last pic too
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bingo, bike shop just called, bent 36, $25 to tweak it a little and i'm good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    $25 to bend a ring? Take a crack at it and save the money.