mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2x9 and chain length?

Is anyone taking out any links from their chain when running 2x9? How do I figure out how manny to remove?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    when you say 2x9, do you mean:
    1) XC 2x9 eg. 44-29T
    2) Freeride 2x9, which is simply dropping the big ring (for a bashring), so 32-24.

For XC 2x9, if you have the same size big ring as before, you shouldn't be shortening your chain at all.

For Freeride 2x9, you should drop a few links from your chain.

To work out the length of chain required, shift into your biggest ring and biggest rear cog at the same time (something that you are not meant to do when riding) and thread the chain around it, and pull the chain so the der cage is pointing forward, so the chain is straight along the bottom. i usually go for the next link that's a little longer than that PLUS one more link - so if i break a chain, i can take a link out of it and still safely use the chain. some people might have 2 extra links in it.

note: don't think that you will never cross the chain up so you never get the big cog-ring combo, and therefore think that you can get away with a shorter chain. if you go below the minimum length (ie. that which fits around the big cog and big ring), one day you WILL hit that combination, and you will be sory.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks That Answers My Question

I assumed every one knew I ment loosing the big ring for a bashguard. LOL

hands up who wants to die
    Yes - remove links! You'll love the results.

sclyde's suggestion is correct: Big-Big plus 2 links should be fine.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861