Tahoe Native

2X9 Can I use most of my rings?

I've just finished my build and I chose the SLX 2X9 crankset as I hardly ever used my top ring on my old Bike. Should I be able to use most of my Gear Combinations? I'm hoping that I cut my chain long enough as it seems a bit streched out at the 36-34 Combo. I really like this gear and need to keep it. I'm not expecting to use say 22-11 or even the next couple up, but the chain is very loose near the bottom. The RD is the SLX long cage and the FD is the SLX Dual. I'm happy with the way it runs, just concerned about the 36-34 combo being too tight, and not sure how loose it should really be on the 22 in front.
    I've done my searching on this and couldn't find anything useful.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    shouldnt be a problem, did you cut your chain using the big big+2 method?
    wrap the chain around the biggest ring and the biggest gear on the cassette without going through the rear deraillier, add 2 links.
    the only time you could run into crosschaining issues is with the big ring big gear (3 ring setup) the chainline on your bike is based from the middle ring so no combination is off limits

Tahoe Native
    Yeah I did the big-big plus two links. It just seems that the RD is pulled farther forward than any other bike I've ridden. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Its gonna look pretty stretched. Most times you never see the big-big combo in use on a three ring bike (and should not use it consistently) but if you did, it would be equally stretched.

Tahoe Native

Thanks

Thanks, I'm going to keep riding it and see how it goes. Gonna have alot of tweaking time on the roads until the snow melts. I just don't want to have to mess with it once the trails open. I'm being a little extra cautious because this is my first build. It's been a blast.

Custom Bike Builder
    If you like that gear so much, try using the 22F/21R combo. It is the same gear ratio.

Tahoe Native
    Thanks I'll try that. I haven't gotten a whole lot of time on this set-up, so i still have alot to learn. Just hoping to be able to use all the gears, and was questioning my build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I use big-big+4 on my 2x9 setups (I have 4 bikes set up this way) specifically because you expect to use the big-big combo on a 2x setup. I just set one up on my new build with the SLX 2x9 crankest this week and it's working great (except I'm not sure I like the big drop from 36t to the 22t granny on SLX)
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Tahoe Native
    I might have to try that with a spare chain. How's the chain slap on rough downhills? I bought the SLX 2X9 because where I ride is generally granny up and bombing down. Thought I might benefit with the 36 big ring. Figured I could aways change it later, as I love messing with my bikes anyhow.