mtbr member

2x9 3x9 qustions

Hi im setting up an air 9, and need a new set of cranks and don't know between 2x9 or 3x9, I race xc but in very hilly areas so don't use the 44 very much, but at the other end i need the 22 for climbing. So for me I think i want a 22-36
    Am i right in thinking you cannot run a 22 on a 110/74mm double crankset?
    Therefore to get my desired setup I will need a triple and not use the outer chainrig?
    Is that easy to do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The issue isn't double or triple. The problem is that 24t is the smallest chainring possible in 74mm BCD. Double or triple you need a crank with a smaller than 74mm granny position.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    i don't think there are many 64mm double cranksets around.
    If say I bought a shimano xtr m970 and converted it to a double what would I have to do? Use special chainring bolts?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Very easy to do. Take off the 44T. Decide on whether you want to keep the 32T as your "big" ring, or replace it with a 34T or a 36T. Then get the appropriate bash guard for whatever ring you choose and install that in place of the 44T. Or just install your 32T, 34T or 36T with bolt spacers.

I run mine bash-32-22, but then I'm not a racer and come to think of it, not all that young either
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    thanks dwt, i got a bargin xtr crankset last night on e-bay, so will go down that road. What sort of spacers do you need for the chainring bolts?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage
    thanks dwt, i got a bargin xtr crankset last night on e-bay, so will go down that road. What sort of spacers do you need for the chainring bolts?
    These are what you need:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...cer+Bag20.aspx

Measure the width of the ring you are removing to determine the size of the spacer.
    Since you only need 4, buying a bag of 20 is overkill. If you're on good terms with your LBS, they might give them to you if you buy some swag.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.