Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

2x10 SRAM X7 Front Derailleur going funky

Sorry if this is commonly posted problem, just trying to learn how to repair/tweak my bike on my own part by part.

Got the bike last year, never had any issues with the gearing/shifting. Very smooth, untill just recently. my 2 buddies that I mainly ride with both have had to replace a cog or chain ring in the past few weeks and now my bike seems to be having the same issues as they were having.

During a ride I'll switch gears and it works fine, well at least I think it does and its shifted then all of a sudden a few seconds later it shifts a gear or two without me hitting the shifter. What made it worse was the other day we hit the trails when it was SUPER muddy and water logged and I got thick, clumpy mud everywhere. At the end of the ride while pedaling it would just lock up and I'd have to back pedal to get it to go again. I also noticed the chain was rubbing on the front derailleur. So after the ride I washed, degreased, and lubed it up and rode it again today. Still having jumping problems. I feel like I need to adjust the front derailleur, I doubt it needs a new cog/chain ring already.

Or does it sound like I do need to replace something?

How does one properly adjust there front derailleur so it doesnt rub on the chain? And possible to help smooth out the shifting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pwned