mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2x10 shifters, X9 or X0?

Hi there, wondering if anyone has compared the 2011 X9 2x10 trigger shifters to the X0? According to the website, the weight is the same so I'm wondering what the difference is?

The X0 shifters are about $120.00 more than the X9 and I have to wonder if it's really worth the money?

Thanks for any input!

74 & 29 pilot
    I go this directly from a retailer that reviews all of their products that they sell. They are bikers and not just retailers.

X0:
    With SRAM X0 joining the revolutionary XX group in the 10-speed realm, changes abound from top to bottom. This SRAM X0 2x10 Trigger Shifter Set is different on both sides of the bars in comparison to 3x9 X0 shifters. While it's apparent that both the front and rear shifters are changing a different number of gears respectively, it might not be so obvious that these are not compatible with older 3x9 drivetrain parts. They've been designed to coordinate specifically with two front chainrings and ten cogs out back.

Otherwise, the SRAM X0 2x10 Trigger Shifters offer the same reliable and effortless shifting function you've always known. And they come with an array of color accents. The X0 Shifters allow you to customize your handlebar setup in more than one way. In addition to giving your bars some extra color, the lever position can be adjusted for finger length or push preference. They're also Matchmaker-X compatible if you appreciate a clean handlebar arrangement.

The composite upper cover is painted black now to match the powdercoated alloy clamp assembly. Looks aside, the real test is the shifting. And it's incredible -- so smooth, so easy. It's remarkable how much smoother these shifters feel than their X-9 counterparts. This is what makes them such a worthy upgrade. The Exact Actuation simplifies derailleur setup and ensures precise shifting from the word go. The best part is that it stays that way. The 1:1 cable pull ratio is less sensitive to friction in the housing system.

Cable replacement is easy. Simply pop off the top carbon cover, pull out the old cable, thread in the new one, and take off -- easy as a summer breeze. If you can elect to take the plunge for X0 Shifters, you won't be disappointed.
    X9:
    This SRAM X9 2x10 Trigger Shifter Set is a perfect match for the new 2x10 X9 derailleurs. They're both durable and functional. In fact, they work so well that we often get asked, "What's the difference between these and X0 shifters?" The difference is that X0 shifters have bearings in the lever pivots where these X9 units use bushings, and X0 shifters also allow custom lever positioning. If you're the type to ride them right out of the box and don't care to have the adjustment, these X9 shifters will save you more than a few dollars.
    I have X7 as OEM on my Trek Fuel EX 9.7 and all I can say is that they are an absolute disappointment for the money I spent. I have ridden both the XX and X0 and there is no comparison between those and the rest of the line that use the bushings in the lever pivot.

I'm not willing to waste money to see if the X9 is good enough, when I already know how good X0 is. I shopped around and found them for very reasonable prices; Ebay I'm installing 2011 X0 3x10 shifters and a X0 10 spd RD and am not looking back!

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    drewgold, if you have the $120 then go for the X.0 triggers over the X.9 - they just feel way smoother and more accurate/more refined than X.9. For years I've been riding the best shifters I could, as I feel the shifters (and good cables) makes a much bigger difference to the quality of shift than the front or rear derailleurs.
    If you don't have the $120 and you've never ridden X.0 then X.9 will be great!