I should be studying...

2x10 front derailleur compatibility

Does anyone know if Shimano 3x10/2x10 front derailleurs are compatible with Sram 2x10 shifters? I'm building up a Pivot Mach 4 and I'm trying to avoid spending ~$200 on my front shifting.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what components you actually have and what you want to avoid spendind $200 on - but I'll guess you have some Shimano shifters and want to avoid buying SRAM shifters to work with their 2x system ...

First I'll just say that I'm not 100% positive about all this - but this is what I've experienced and read:

I am using a road front derailleur (Dura Ace) with Shimano shifters designed for a 3x9 system on a 2x10 crank (SRAM) with a 10 speed chain and a 9 speed cassette... FWIW it works flawlessly...

I've read that because the spacing between the chainrings is different/less in a 2x there have been 2 ways that Shimano and SRAM have dealt with this - Shimano has their new FDs move less with the same shifter pull and SRAM has their new front shifters pull less cable so their FD moves less but with the same ratio of cable to FD movement...

Soooooo, if I were you - I'd first try using either a NEW Shimano FD with your SRAM (FDs are cross compatible in 9-speed AFAIK) OR a road FD with your SRAM shifters. The latter would be my first choice as it has worked for me ... best of luck and please post back what has worked.

Thanks,
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

I'm Slow
    As long as the front derailleur matches the crank (crazy 2x10 sizes) it doesn't matter what shifter you use with it.

The Rear derailleur and and rear shifter have to match.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not exactly the same scenario but I am running the 3x10 XO crank and shifters and the XT FD. Works fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    Does anyone know if Shimano 3x10/2x10 front derailleurs are compatible with Sram 2x10 shifters? I'm building up a Pivot Mach 4 and I'm trying to avoid spending ~$200 on my front shifting.
    Shimano 2x10 derailleur (XTR only) is compatible with SRAM 2x10 shifter. Shimano 3x10 derailler is not.

Shimano 3x10 shifter is compatible with SRAM 2x10 derailleur if you use position 2 and 3 only (setup the derailleur with the shifter in pos'n 2).

Hope that helps