mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2x10 FD-m785 work on 3x10 FC-m660 converted to 2x10?

All shimano components.

Will a 2x10 XT FD-m785 work on a 3x10 SLX FC-m660 crankset converted to 2x10 (removed outer ring for bashguard)?

Any advantage to going with a 2x10 FD-m785 over the 3x10 FD-m780
    (simply set outer limit screw)?

I dont really need a 3x10 front derailleur since I'm putting a bashguard on the outer ring. The only difference I see is about 24 grams which I'm not sure is worth the risk if the geometry is different on Shimano's 2x10 derailleurs and there aren't any other advantages.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great question ironically I was wondering a similar set up question. I also wondered if you can use a 3x fr derailleur with new switchable fr shifter (m980xtr) and just leave the shifter set to 2x action. Advantage is if you ever wanted to run the big ring again you wouldn't have to change fr. Derailleur.

I'll be watching your thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ended up with a 3x10 FD-m770 but might be regretting it. I suspect the 2x10 specific FDs might allow more flexibility to use the full range of cassette in both low and middle while the 3x10 FDs aren't as flexible in this regard since it has to accomodate a 3rd much larger chainring. Not really sure though, just a suspicion.