mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2X10 / E-type / gripshift with shimano confusion

Hi
    I need your help. After a long time in retrobikes i decided building something modern and im a bit lost now
    I got NOS Cannondale Prophet 2008 frame (frame is E-type specific/compactible)
    I decided going 2X10 so i got RACEFACE NEXT SL carbon cranks with 26/38 rings
    Now that SRAM started making 2x10 gripshift, i want it since i always liked gripshift BITD.

Thats where the confusion starts:

Gripshift aims me naturally at SRAM group (XO, XX), but with the E-Type frame some questions came up..

1) The frame has that E-Type mount on the bottom of the seatube, Is it possible to mount a 2x10 SRAM Fr.Der. on somehow? Or Am i restricted to Shimano?

2) If i have to go with shimano front derailleur (xtr) Will it work with new gripshift upfront?

3) Is XTR front der. compactible with 26 teeth upfron at all or do i have to go 28?

4) Can i use E-Type front derailleur with Raceface NEXT cranks?

Thanks a lot!

jan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2X10 / E-type / gripshift with shimano confusion-etype.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    sram makes a 2x10 E type front derailleur

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The front 10 speed grip shift will work with Shimano or SRAM front derailleur. I am running a Shimano SLX with 10 speed X0 grip shift. Works like a champ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Guys. Suprteck i looked aroun a bit and all i found is what they call low direct mount without plate that (on the pictures) has 2 holes for mounting.. On my frame it has just that one bolt mount which i guess mainly secures shimano E-type plate against rotation.. If there is some other SRAM compactible with what i have it would be great

Jeffj That is perfect! So i can buy everything Sram and only front der shimano..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yep you can run shimano front derailleur with sram shifter.

Does anybody know if i can use a sram E type front derailleur with the shimano bracket (as sram doesn't offer the bracket) ?