mtbr member
    Oct 2015

2x10 Crankset with 9 Speed Components

Background:

Currently, I have an FSA 3x9 crankset and BB that are worn out - slightly warped and feeling sluggish. Also, I have Acera 9 speed RD/FD and shifters, XT chain and 11-34 cassette.

I am trying to go double front, but I couldn't find any 2x9 cranksets. I never use the big ring. I like having 9 in the back and hesitate going complete 10 due to the high cost and less durability.

Recently purchased:

RaceFace Turbine 2x10 crankset.

"SPECIFICATIONS:
    • Manufacturer: Race Face 

• Model: Turbine

• Spindle Diameter: 24mm

• Bottom bracket: X-Type, BSA - English threaded 68/73mm compatible 

• Chainrings: Bash/36/22T
    • BCD: 104/64mm

• Crank mass: 820 grams
    • BB mass: 97 grams 

• Condition: New, not in retail packaging"

I want to upgrade the 9 speed components to XT level.

A few questions:

1. Can this mix be done or will the 2x10 crankset give me grief with 9 speed components?

2. Should I upgrade the FD mech to 9 speed or 10 speed?

3. Will a 9 speed chain work or do I need a 10 speed chain?

4. Should I get XT M772 GS or SGS RD mech?

5. Will the new BB simply work or are there extra parts I will need to make a swap?

6. Finally, is there a reference page, article, or text guide on the list of tools I should purchase before proceeding with extraction and install of old/new parts?

I know, lots of questions. I want to DIY as much as possible. I have a Park Tool PCS 10 stand and handlebar holder that I frequently use to make minor adjustments, clean, and lube the bicycle.

Any advice / help greatly appreciated!

turtles make me hot
    The 9 speed cranks will work fine. Since the ten speed chain is a slightly more narrow than nine, you may have to adjust the front derailleur a little.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Did you mean to say 10 speed crank? I'm trying to figure out if I can run 2 x crankset with 9 speed gearing. Do I need to change the 9 speed chain or anything else?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes you can just change crankset. No other changes needed.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh and 10 speed drivetrains are not really an less durable and upgrading is pretty cheap right now because of 11 speed.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

turtles make me hot
    I gotta say, I've built a couple of 1x11 fat bikes recently and that was pretty darn cheap too, considering I only had to buy one shifter and one chainring. It didn't seem cost effective to build the bikes 2x10 and then update them later.
    I like turtles

Life Is Short
    Dude, if you're going to do it, at least do it right.
    1. You already bought a 2x10 designed crank---buy a 10 sp shimano HG-Dyna Sys Chain--they are "narrow-wide" unlike a 9 sp chain
    2. Get a 10 sp cassette, 11-36. They are cheap and plentiful--Deore, SLX, XT, XTR...Ok not XTR that cassette is $160.
    3. Get a right side XT shifter or SLX, Deore -10 sp.

You wont need to get a left side shifter, unless you want to then, tho it will just have
    one click getting into the 36T, rather than 2.

Pictured is my latest 2x10 conversion from 3x9. It was a bit costly because I am a freak about XTR and like buying them because of the weight.

EDIT: I used to wrench at a bike shop and took Shimano classes. We learned never to "Frankenbike" with different speed parts. Different compatible branks, OK. If you want to Mickey Mouse with 9/10/11 speed parts go ahead. But if you want to keep the drive train 9 speed, get a used 9 speed crank set then and save the 10 sp for 10 speed parts. Most ppl that give you advice about mixing parts prob never worked at a bike shop and if they did, prob never took Shimano courses. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x10 Crankset with 9 Speed Components-dsc07745.jpg  

Last edited by fatcat; 09-06-2016 at 12:50 AM.
    Ride More, Eat More

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    There is absolutely no problem running a 9 speed drive train with 10 speed cranks. I've been doing just that on two bikes for 3 and 4 years.

One bike is using Shimano M785 10sp 2x (26/38) cranks and the other SRAM X9 10sp 2x (26/39) cranks. The rest of those drivetrains are 9 speed... SRAM 9s sp 991 chains and 9 speed M770 cassettes SRAM X0 derailleurs and SRAM X9 grip shifters... all works perfectly together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm sure I'll go full 10 speed in time. It will require a new rear mech and new front mech, new shifters, new chain, and new cassette. The current 9 speed XT cassette and chain are fairly new. I recently discovered the crankset is dying so that's why I purchased the new one. I might get a new front shifter that is dual only .. I'm not sure that would work with a 9 speed chain unless I can adjust it for the width. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    There is absolutely no problem running a 9 speed drive train with 10 speed cranks. I've been doing just that on two bikes for 3 and 4 years.

One bike is using Shimano M785 10sp 2x (26/38) cranks and the other SRAM X9 10sp 2x (26/39) cranks. The rest of those drivetrains are 9 speed... SRAM 9s sp 991 chains and 9 speed M770 cassettes SRAM X0 derailleurs and SRAM X9 grip shifters... all works perfectly together.
    Can you use a grip shift front twist with 2x9? If so, how did you do it? Or is there a dual front version?

turtles make me hot
    Just use the limit screws on the derailleur.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Or just get a 10 speed chain. Xt 10 speed chains are $20.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What would the 10 speed chain do differently than the 9 speed chain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Update:

Wow.

After a lot of reading, it seems there are mixed opinions, many say 2x10 with the rest 9 speed works great others say I'll need a new FD, chain, and possible shifter. I'm going to try the first way and see if I can save money in the beginning. I'm thinking a microshift FD shifter will also provide me more flexibility in adjustment.

I also realized that the tools alone will cost me around $100 ~~

So I ordered the following tools and accessories based on reading RaceFace Turbine instructions, spending hours reading these forums, and watching RJ The Bike Guy on YouTube:

CRAFTSMAN 9-32999 3/8-in. Dr. Beam Style Torque Wrench
    Park Tool PH-8 P-Handled Hex Wrench (8mm)
    Shimano 2014 MTB PTFE Bicycle Shift Cable Set (Black)
    Park Tool Compact Crank Puller
    Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool to remove and install Shimano Hollowtech II bottom brackets.

I already have a PCS-10 bike stand, water proof grease, cleaners, etc. Anything else needed last minute, I can probably grab at a hardware store or bike store.

What to install - ordered and shipped:

SRAM X9 Microfriction Left Twist Shifter
    SRAM ATTACK Rear Twist Shifters (9 spd)
    Race Face Turbine 2 x 10s X-Type MTB Bike Crankset + BB 170mm Bash/36/22T

I feel like a novice swimmer who only knows how to dog paddle and yet I just dived into the deep end of the pool ... Splash!

What's next - to find on sale, good deals, etc:

Shimano XT 772 RD
    Shimano XT FD
    New XT Wheelset