Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2x10 Crank with 9 speed setup

Looking for an affordable way to move from a 3x9 setup to a 2x9 setup for XC and trail riding. I would like to switch to an XX or XO 10 speed crank, but keep my 9 speed X9 rear derailleur, X9 trigger shifters, 9 speed chain, and XT front derailleur. I don't know if the chain ring spacing on the XX or XO 10 speed cranks is the same as a 9 speed crank. Does anyone know about the compatibility of this set up? Will a 9 speed chain work? Is the shift indexing the same? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Why not go with an SLX crank (double)? Cheap, very durable and totally 9 speed compatible - all you have to do is adjust the limit screw on your front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMich
    Looking for an affordable way to move from a 3x9 setup to a 2x9 setup for XC and trail riding. I would like to switch to an XX or XO 10 speed crank, but keep my 9 speed X9 rear derailleur, X9 trigger shifters, 9 speed chain, and XT front derailleur. I don't know if the chain ring spacing on the XX or XO 10 speed cranks is the same as a 9 speed crank. Does anyone know about the compatibility of this set up? Will a 9 speed chain work? Is the shift indexing the same? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

I'm essentially wondering he same thing... I've got Simano 9-speed - but sine the issue will be with the FD - I don't think it will matter. I have ordered a SRAM x.7 2x10 crankset in 28/42 ($150) that has the same dimensions as the XX - but is forged and heavier (by nearly 300g) which doesn't matter to me since it's for a touring bike.

(Here's my post and the one reply I got)

I've done some research and there is a 6mm space between the chainrings (see SRAM tech doc page 109 - here). The spacing from ring center to ring center is 8 mm and the rings are 2mm wide based on this document - take away .5 ring width (1mm each) and that puts the gap at 6mm. I believe that 9-speed should be around 7 or 8 mm between rings. how that'll play out with a 9-speed front derailleur I do not know yet. I've been told it should work ...

I've been told when I asked this q that there may be some chain rub due to closer spacing and the fact that a 10-speed chain is narrower - on the outside. I actually have learned that you can run a 10-speed chain on a 9-speed drivetrain as the inner plates are the same distance apart as on a 9-speed.

I should have my crank Tuesday and I'll post how/if it works.

I''m guessing that someone has done this and knows firsthand - but I have not found anything on it yet...

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Let us know how you get on. I'm also thinking about doing this with an XTR double. I guess if the chain does rub on the chain rings, a 10 speed chain will resolve the issue.

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing about a chain and have a 10s chain with limited mileage on it sitting on my bench right now!

I will post as soon as I get my system sorted and running...

In the meantime I did a bit more reading (this thread has a lot of good info) and it appears that to accommodate the narrower gap between rings on the new 10-speed Front Derailleurs actually move a bit less than older FDs - which makes sense to me. Apparently they work fine with older 9-speed shifters... so I may need a new FD. I'm going to try an older Dura Ace FD I've got kicking around before I go and spend anther $45...

I suspect that to go from a 3x9 to a 2x9 with a new 10-speed crankset requires a new FD and a 10 spd chain - the rest should work fine...

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From what I have been reading this all sounds correct. I have been having this debate with myself for a couple of weeks now. I currently have an all XO 9sp set up with triple front crank set. Now looking getting an XO 2x10 crank set and running a 10sp chain. Setting the front derailer end points for use with the “bottem” 2 rings and see how it works. I am not planning on completing this for a few months (have frame to purchase first). Does anyone see an issue with this?

mtbr member

... This just in ...

Double post...
    Last edited by stevereeneo; 11-15-2010 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member

... This just in ...

I just spoke with someone at SRAM tech support and got some interesting/potentially useful info:

A Shimano 3x shifter pulls 11.5mm of cable first (small ring to middle), then pulls 7.7 mm (middle ring to large ring).

The SRAM 2x is designed to pull 7.7mm of cable to accommodate for the narrower gap between the rings on the double. She didn't say anything about a SRAM FD moving less (and I never asked which I probably should have...) which seems to indicate that:
    A. Shimano has changed the FD's movement leaving the shifter alone (as noted the FD moves less with the same cable pull)
    B. SRAM has changed the front shifter and left the FD alone to do the same thing ...

Conclusion: If using a 2x10 crankset - you should - IN THEORY - be able to use a Shimano 3x shifter in the 2nd-3rd position with you current FD and make it work. SRAM tech support indicated that it could indeed work. The difference of .2 mm shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If that doesn't work, then a Shimano - and NOT a SRAM FD (since their 10 spd FD moves the same amount as 9-spd w/ 3x shifters) will likely work better. I also see that SRAM FD's do not have clamps for 28.6... so us steel steed riders need to find a shim, blah, blah, blah.

The other thing I have not been able to find out is the spacing between rings on Shimano's 2x10 crankset... thought I bet is has to be pretty close given the 10spd chain size (outer) is the same - though their Dyna... system may impact that as well.

This is getting complicated...

God luck out there...
    S

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is very good info! Thank you Stevereeneo

mtbr member

It works!!!!!

I have just returned from a short test ride of my new SRAM x.7 2x10 crankset and I pleased to announce that it works like a dream!

I installed the crank - super easy GXP BB and crank - and initially tried to use an XT front derailleur ... but it was not working so well so - I pulled out a Dura Ace - that's right roadie stuff - FD and after screwing the inner limit screw all the way in so the cage was a bit further outboard - it worked!

I can get just about the entire cassette on both both rings - with only slight rubbing on the most crossed-over combinations - which I don't do anyway.

So, here's the full drivetrain set-up on the Salsa Vaya:

Shifters - Shimano XT Dual Control levers
    Crankset - SRAM x.7 2x10, 28/42 rings, 175mm w/ GXP bottom bracket
    (These cranks $142 @ Speedgoat - I price matched it @ ebikestop since they are right near me and I can pick it up without shipping)
    Front derailleur - Shimano Dura Ace 7700
    Cassette - Shimano HG61 12-36
    Rear derailleur - XT
    Chain - Wipperman 10spd Connex

I didn't even try to use the 2-3 shifting position with the XT FD ... that may work as well. I was just glad I didn't need to purchase anything else...

When I went to pick the crankset - the guy said that at "SRAM School" they told him that the 2x9 would not work with the new 2x10 cranks... he was definitely curious if it could be done.

I hope my research was helpful to others... it'd be great to see more 2x9s out there... for my use (on/off-road touring) this setup will work perfectly!

Edit - cell phone pics added.
    S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x10 Crank with 9 speed setup-vaya-2x10-drivetrain.jpg  

2x10 Crank with 9 speed setup-vaya-2x10.jpg  

2x10 Crank with 9 speed setup-vaya-2x10-sram-crankset.jpg  

Last edited by stevereeneo; 11-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a new Camber expert with full Shimano 10 speed (3x10) and want to go 2x10. Couldn't afford the pro model. The SLX cranks say they are only for 9 speed. (will those in fact work?) But the XTR doubles are through the roof on price. Do they simply not have a 2x10 crank out in anything under xtr? It is dang confusing out there. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't know much about the SLX cranks... I have my doubts that they can't be used with a 10s chain - I'd bet they can - but I'm not positive.

The Sram x.7 (S1400) 2x10 crank I have is pretty nice and the shifting is quit smooth. For $142 @ Speedgoat I think it'll be tough to beat...

Shimano does not yet have a 2x10 crank under XTR (AFAIK) - I'm going to bet the XT that comes out by spring will be hot seller if they can get it under $200 ... if not - the SRAM will be a nice alternative.

Good luck!
    S

mtbr member
    Slightly OT, but can you comment on the color of the X7 cranks? Are they black, or more of a darker blue/grey?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Will shimano xt 10 speed FD work with sram x0 9 speed grip shifters?

The crank used will be shimano xt 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17
    Slightly OT, but can you comment on the color of the X7 cranks? Are they black, or more of a darker blue/grey?

Thanks
    I'd say a darker blue/grey

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Will shimano xt 10 speed FD work with sram x0 9 speed grip shifters?

The crank used will be shimano xt 10 speed.

9 speed FD works with 10 speed crank set and chain FWIW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm certainly no expert, but I am confused why Shimano doesn't have a lower cost 2x10 crank than the XTR. Seems like it would be easy to offer and so many people are wanting these types of setups. Must be political, because common sense would (I think) say give the people what they need, or in this case, are already buying from our competitor! Anyway, I may try the the Sram X7 2x10 in place of the stock Shimano FC-M552 on the Camber expert and see how that does. I have SLX shifters and may have the same issues others have had with the FD. Nice to know a 2x10 road derailer works just in case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now I just read that the Camber pro has SLX shifters but a X7 2x10 FD. How is that possible? I thought those two wouldn't work together because of the 2:1 vs 1:1 issue. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Unless you have issues with your cranks, why not order some different chainrings and try different combos? I've got a 24t granny (I may try a 26t also) and 36t middle ring on order to convert my 3x9 and ditch the 44t. I'll be swapping the 11-32 with the shimano 12-36 9sp cassette to duplicate the same realistically used gear range.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of this as a 2x9 speed alternative?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/204...6-Crankset.htm

Also, are there any big differences between the X7 and X9 2x10 cranksets? The weight is almost identical, and the color seems to the biggest difference.
    The X9 comes in 2 ratios as well.
    Last edited by joshdurston; 11-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Check these out
    S1400

Sup
    stevereeneo
    is the spider on the x7 crank held on by three bolts like the x9 and xo

cant find any pics on the web
    thanks SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    stevereeneo
    is the spider on the x7 crank held on by three bolts like the x9 and xo

cant find any pics on the web
    thanks SJ
    I have not seen the X9 or the X0 crankset - just the XX... post some links if you've got them.

I just checked and there are 3 bolts - two closer together than the others... a tall triangle if you will... I'd never even noticed them before - I wonder if that means that the BCD will be the same for all of them and then there will be different options for changing rings...

I hope that helps.
    Steve

Sup
    dose it look like this ?
    thanks SJ
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Yup, looks like the same 3 bolts ...

I looked at the FSA Afterburner crank... it looks cool as hell - but I think the 3bolt bcd thing is not ideal for touring (my Salsa is an on/off road touring bike) - I need strong and easily fixable. I'm hoping that there are enough aftermarket chainrings (Are you listening Blackspire?) that I can get replacements in the future. Given SRAM's committment to this and the fact that all their cranks will use the same bcd I think this will be a better choice for my purposes.

The crankarms of the x.9 and the x.7 look similar - the only visable difference is the color/paint then there is the price difference of almost $100... there is a weight difference of about 100g (785g - bb30 vs 871g - gxp as per speedgoat)... I never weighed mine (weighing parts on a touring bike is a bit like trying to make a pickup truck aerodynamic - really not necessary... ) That I could get mine for under $150 was perfect for my budget and needs.

I'm really happy with mine after several rides and shifting under load to try to make it mess up and not being able to... this is a nice crank that shifts quite nicely and bang for buck I think it will likely be the new "XT" crank...

S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast